Newman's 1986 BMW 326rb build thread.

he never got around to picking it up i guess. busy enjoying the nice weather while we had it. plus, when he lived here he really had no place to put it.

but ya, its in his hands as of earlier this week. tuesday i think? maybe?

now that i can park the car inside, i pulled off the front subframe, and attempted to pull off the rear subframe/dif carrier, but the bushings have seized the rear on. Once those are off, i am going to attack the underbody with a grinder.

Once the underbody is free of surface rust and undercoating, i will paint it.

i will also be disassembling the front and rear subframes for paint and replacing the bushings.

Once that is complete i will strip reweld and paint the engine bay.

About time, now hurry up and make my bet hold up :tup:

awesome that this is picking up a again. i just hope to one day get a ride in it.

how many hours you think you got till its finished?

:lol:
How many meals will you eat in your life?

Srsly, same question.

lol

cant wait for more pics, i love this project

Big thanks to MPD.

With MUCH fanfare, the rear subframe is now out.

Next time i work on it, i will disassemble the front and rear subframes in preparation for blast and paint.

Tore down the rear subframe. I’m going to bring the control arms to work tomorrow and press out the hubs and CA bushings.

I think i am going to powdercoat the subframes and the rest of the suspension some obnoxious color like bright orange/lime green. Just because you can’t really see it.

nice.

Pink?

anything new???

its still a cool build

Pressed the RLCA bushings out on my lunch break… Next i need to get the hubs off. The lower spring mounts have broken off, so i need to whip something up, but that should be very easy.

pics?

I can’t wait to drive around in this with you. Screaming obcenities, of course.

sorry about the lack of pics. It’s not a lot to see at this point, just some old control arms. Once i get something worth looking at, i will snap some pics.

Last night after work i stayed late and made a bearing press out of some plate steel and tubing and proceeded to press out the wheel bearings. The RLCAs are now completely stripped. I am going to weld on a new spring mount and reinforce the swaybar endlink mounting point and then powdercoat.

I am still working on a color scheme. suggestions are welcome. The colors i think i want are a combination of lime green, black and safety orange.

The parts that need to be painted are:
Rear subframe
Rear control arms
Differential
Front Subframe
Front control arms
Front Strut tubes/perch

Thoughts? This is all against a black background of th underbody/wheelwell.

camouflage is always kew

The colors i think i want are a combination of lime green, black and safety orange.

Rear subframe--------------------------lime green
Rear control arms-----------------------safety orange
Differential------------------------------both(front/sides-green//back-orange)
Front Subframe--------------------------lime green
Front control arms-----------------------safety orange
Front Strut tubes/perch------------------both(tubes-green/perches-orange)

1 question tho. why not continue the theme of the mother-land? go tri-color black/red/yellow.

–and are you going to put the rising sun on the roof, or what?