newsgroups

I just switched over to newsgroups and downloaded my first one that has a bunch a zip files split up. when i go to extract them i get an error saying it is missing a file with the extension .s00 I have downloaded several thinking it was the file that is messed up but they all say the same thing so whats the deal?

I fucking hate the zip/rar archives.

What is the file? It could have been taken down by the owner. HBO typically sends take down notifications to the newsgroup providers. If that’s the case change providers. I use astraweb and have no issues with takedowns.

Prog I’m not familiar with windows clients but unison for mac automatically extracts archives when they’re downloaded. Everything on newsgroups is archived files. Typically parity files are included as well in case one or two files are damaged and needs to be recovered.

From my experience, extracting the top most file with something like 7zip gets the main file needed. I haven’t come across them in a while though since I’m usually only “acquiring” music. :snky:

It’s almost as bad as people creating one giant FLAC file for all the songs on the album, with a .cue file. Blah

I’ve seen this before, usually its a bunch of files .00 .01 .02, etc

You just extract the first file in the archive and it will build a folder with the files in it.

I use winRAR.

Oh dear god. Use Newsleecher and it downloads all the parts and checks them. If you are missing any parts, it will download the PAR2 files that are needed, repair, and extract.

If you cant figure it out, you don’t deserve to be on Usenet and go back to Limewire.

I ended up figuring it out, there was a file missing

Sign up for an account on nzbmatrix and setup sabnzbd. This will streamline everything for you.

why don’t people just plop the movie file or music files or whatever in the torrent/download? Why fuck around with the archive horseshit?

I can’t answer authoratatively since I am not involved with uploading to newsgroups, but it’s likely for stealthiness and for being able to repair files that are corrupt. I love that they come with par files. Unison makes it 100% seamless anyway. I fire it up, and when it’s done, the movie files are dropped into my downloads folder.

^ This

I should really get into this and stop using torrents.

I will take a look at this when I get home, right now i just used binsearch with binreader to download them

Remember that Usenet is based on old bulletin boards online that were text and now people are using to posts binary files. Large messages that are binary files uploaded as a single post will almost never “propigate” or be sent from one server to another on a different system. There is not one “usenet” that everyone connects to. Its a protocol of hosts that share data and replicate to their own network certain groups.

Torrent releasers usually download these multiparts from usenet and build a torrent for them and post it so they just download what was meant for Usenet.

Everyone at work talked me into this…

http://www.news.astraweb.com/specials/kleverig-11.html

SABNzbd. Sickbeard, Couchpotato

I have the same plan. Never get incomplete files, uses ssl and pegs my connection. :tup: