NHTSA Expected Complaint Index 2008

For all the GM haters… why is there only one GM car? :ohnoes:

FYI: The expected issue with the Buick Lucerne is that the dash lights are not bright enough and I believe GM has already changed the design to correct that.

If anyone has any info on the other expected complaints post them up!!

Car Complaint Index
Thanks to consumer advocate Jack Gillis, author of the 2008 Car Book, and the efforts of the Center for Auto Safety, we are able to provide you with the vehicle complaints on file with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA). Each year, thousands of Americans call their government to register complaints about their vehicles. The complaint index is based on a ratio of the number of complaints for each vehicle to the sales of that vehicle. The numbers represent relative index scores, not the number of complaints received. The complaint index score considers sales volume and years on the road. Lower index numbers are better.

The 2008 Projected Car Complaint Ratings MODEL COMPLAINT INDEX RATIO

Toyota FJ Cruiser 28,955
Dodge Nitro 24,624
Lexus ES 14,567
Hyundai Entourage 13,643
Toyota Camry 13,381
Jeep Commander 11,877
Mitsubishi Outlander 10,899
Jeep Wrangler 8,082
Volkswagen Rabbit 7,555
Volkswagen Passat 7,503
Mazda 5 6,964
Mercedes Benz R Class 6,911
Dodge Caliber 6,459
Jeep Compass 5,857
Nissan Quest 5,805
Audi Q7 5,707
Buick Lucerne 5,706
Chrysler Aspen 5,435
Honda Fit 5,201
Lincoln Navigator 5,166

“projected” ratings…?

Just sayin.

i know… but it still makes for good discussion

no gti?

For all the GM lovers… why is there only one GM car? :ohnoes:

FYI: The reported reliability of the Pontiac Vibe can be attributed to it being a rebaged Toyota.

http://editorial.autos.msn.com/article.aspx?cp-documentid=435706

BEST OF THE BEST

These are models that have performed well in CR road tests over the years, and have proved to have several or more years of better-than-average reliability. Listed alphabetically.

Acura Integra
Acura MDX
Acura RL
Acura RSX
Acura TL
Acura TSX
BMW M3
Buick LaCrosse
Honda Accord
Honda Civic
Honda Civic Hybrid
Honda CR-V
Honda Element
Honda Odyssey
Honda Pilot
Honda S2000
Infiniti FX
Infiniti G20
Infiniti G35
Infiniti I30, I35
Infiniti QX4
Lexus ES
Lexus ES
Lexus GS (RWD)
Lexus GX
Lexus IS
Lexus LS
Lexus RX
Lexus SC
Lincoln Continental
Lincoln Town Car
Mazda Millenia
Mazda MX-5 Miata
Mazda Protegé
Mazda3
Mitsubishi Endeavor
Mitsubishi Outlander
Nissan Altima
Nissan Maxima
Nissan Murano
Pontiac Vibe
Porsche 911 (except '03)
Scion tC
Scion xB
Subaru Baja
Subaru Forester
Subaru Impreza
Subaru Legacy
Subaru Outback
Toyota 4Runner
Toyota Avalon
Toyota Camry (except '07 V6)
Toyota Camry Solara
Toyota Celica
Toyota Corolla
Toyota Echo
Toyota Highlander
Toyota Land Cruiser
Toyota Matrix
Toyota Prius
Toyota RAV4
Toyota Sequoia
Toyota Sienna
Toyota Tundra (except '07 V8 4WD)
Volvo S60

so nobody is going to complain about their shitty resale value? or how their door handles and other misc. shitty plastic parts will fall off eventually?

Because consumer reports has always humped imports. They write reviews for the person that knows nothing about cars, the same way as, say, toasters. At least OP’s was a better source.

.gov is a better source?

I’d say the both suck equally as much.

eh, gov is actual numbers. CR is “this performed well in our road tests, and happens to be reliable.” Then they give the imports the best road test scores.

shut up

agreeing with Joe on this one

What a worthless “report.”

Because GM is good at making dealer complains mysteriously disappear from their computer systems in the middle of an NHTSA investigation? Like the one on GTO strut rub. Amazing how all the complaints GTO owners had made to their dealers magically disappeared from their service history right about the time the NHTSA requested GM to forward all paperwork about the issue to them.
http://www.ls2gto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=144519

If they did it on the GTO I’m sure there were others.

^jay i looked in the computer and didn’t see any records of complaints… are you sure the strut rubs?

Read some of that thread on ls2gto. It’s a major issue with GTO’s.

Culligan half ass fixed mine by pushing my alignment out so my front tires are no longer rubbing and realigning based on the colapsed strut bushing but my strut bushings are still colapsed. GM corp even got involved, the guy’s name was Brian Dugan, but all he could do was admit Culligan was giving me the shaft and give me a couple free oil changes for my inconvenience.

I’d fight it more but the best I’m going to get from GM is more defective bushings (people who have got their bushing replaced have reported 2nd failure in less than 10k miles) so I’m just waiting to save up a little play money and buy some Pedders aftermarket stuff. I would have fixed it already because just the parts I need to fix the bushing are < $200 but I really want to wait and order their whole “serious street” package and that’s over 2 grand just in parts.

Anyway, back on topic… When anyone GM starts bragging about how few NHTSA issues they have it gets under my skin after seeing their GTO coverup.

I love these arguments. Everything has it’s issues. Plain and simple. nothing is perfect learn to accept it. You don’t hear me complaining about how my TL rides stiffer than my 2" lowered trans am. Maybe i’m just more forgiving than the general population of asshats.

^ There’s a big difference between not liking how a car rides and a manufacturer hiding details of something that is a major safety issue once the NHTSA opens an investigation. There have been a few serious crashes with GTO’s where the front tire blew out because it went from full tread to completely bald on the inside edge. The worst part is you don’t see it unless you park your car with the wheel turned all the way to the lock because the rubbing is on the inside edge. The outside edge of the tire will look brand new.

Maybe because the people buying GMs are used to things other brand owners might complain about? I’m not knocking GM, I drive a Silverado, but all the issues I have with the truck I figured would happen, so no complaints from me. If I bought a toyota or honda on the other hand and it was built like this then I’d have something to complain about.

Your situation is different. it’s a valid safety reason. I’m speaking of clunks/rattles/minor issues that drive people crazy. The kind of things you hear in my trans am would drive 85% of the population batty.