NickAlero's '98 CL

they probably think that if its a m/t he will get involved in street racing…or something equivalent to it…

I really think I should have surprised them the night I brought my friend’s saab to the lot and taken them for a ride. I just told them I had it for a day after and they were scared and kinda pissed/surprised, I really couldn’t tell :lol They don’t like manuals, so the look on their face REALLY changed when I told them it was a twin disk clutch, turbo’ed, and pushing near 350 wheel :rofl

No offense dude but if your parents are making decisions that are pretty significantly impacting you (not getting an m/t when you want one) solely based on ignorance of what an m/t is or does, you should talk to them about it :lol

Nick if you need me to have a threesome with your parents to loosen them up a bit so-to-speak… I’m here man

I’m gonna give it another shot this weekend, we’re going downstate so I’ll have a few hours in a car with them to talk about life in general. And no offense taken, if I tell other people about it they say the same thing. Maybe when my buddy comes back after his trans swap I’ll try to get my dad on my side, since its always my mom who seems to shut down conversations about owning a 5 speed.

Lance that is wrong.
But I’d rep you for it if I could :rofl

Honestly has your mom ever driven a 5spd? prolly not. GL with the “talk”!! lol

makes me think of an inverse birds and the bees talk! :rofl

Yeah I’ll talk to your parents if you want too Nick… and by talk to I mean murder

Neither of them have ever driven a 5spd…and yea its kinda like the inverse birds and the bees talk with this crap.
And Lance…too far dude.

ROFL I have to meet this kid.

So let me get on the right pager here. Your parents buy you an auto alero because they want their little angel in a safe, easy to drive slow ass car to get from point A to B. yet they allow you to buy a 600+hp capable turbo which would never see exhaust gas pass through it in reality under the hood of an alero, and even if it did the auto trans wouldn’t last 1320 feet under boost. But they were right, because it was a safe point A to B car for you, because you tried going point B to A, crashed and lived to tell the story to Shift518.

Now in their infinite wisdom you don’t let you drive a standard transmission car because they feel you cant handle it, so you buy another, automatic car, that still isnt much faster than the alero. Said car was purchased by car noob parents and the transmission shit the bed. So your going to try to convince your parents to let you swap a transmission that doesn’t even belong in the car? Are you going to mod the firewall to install the clutch pedal? What about the slave cylinder? Bleeding the system? Pulling the motor and physically doing the swap? etc… You dont strike me as a mechanic, no offense. And I 100% know your parents have zero idea what is involved in swapping any car from auto to manual.

this is one step below the 4088R in my eyes on the pipe dream scale. lol

good luck with it. Make me a believer, DO WORK S0N!

The firewall is all ready to be drilled on these cars… the expensive part is the electronics that trick the ECU into thinking the auto is still present. Not worth it IMO.

figured the bosses and hole would be there… but still you have to run hydro lines for the slave and all that shit. You need a new center consol, shift box, cables/shafts what ever that car uses, and yeah I am sure the ecu would be real happy when you hit WOT and the kickdown activated but the “transmission” doesnt actually respond! lol

farrrr out in left field IMO.

Correct

-Tranny
-“Manual conversion” module
-Shifter cables
-Shifter box
-Clutch
-Flywheel
-Master cylinder
-Pedal assembly
-Clutch line
-Modify center console
-etc.

I dont think my parents ever had any say in what car i owned/bought. I think you need to tell them you are a “big boy” and can handle your own decisions

+1

I don’t feel I need to defend the Alero setup anymore and here’s why. Spyhunter (big LD9 guy) was the first to do the 4088 on the 2.4L motor. He made 560whp and ran ~11.6. He’s a tune away from 10’s. If its that important, I’ll ask him to take video next time he runs.

Another LD9 guy, (Ion on Aleromod), is working with the 3076R turbo and making big power. He has over 200K on his car, runs a 12.7, and the stock trans holds the power.

Also, the J32 swaps are FAR more common than what was done on the Aleros I just mentioned, the J32 trans has already been swapped onto a 95 accord with the J30A1.

Onto your next paragraph.
I’m EXTREMELY offended that you say my parents bought the car, when I worked my ASS of for both of my cars. You don’t know me like that. So don’t go on about who pays for my cars, I take a lot of offense to that.

As for my car experience: No one can really speak for me on the forums since no one has seen me work on cars on Shift. Some of my major automotive accomplishments at RPI involve my good buddy’s Saab 900SE 2.0T. Together, with no previous experience doing so, we have:
Pulled the motor 3 times
Built the motor sucessfully (the third time we pulled it was because he blew it up)
Replaced the clutch twice, the first with an OEM clutch, the second with a Clutchmasters (? I think) Twin disk unsprung clutch
Replaced the entire exhaust, IC pipe, turbo, intercooler
I’ve also already done a trans. swap with my roomate on his 2007 Cobalt SS , gotta love people with money to blow. We also swapped it from s/c to turbocharged. My major accomplishment there was doing ALL the tuning for the car. I love HPTuners.

And no offense taken to that I don’t seem like a mechanic, I definitely haven’t been around cars all my life like some of you guys, but when I work on something its so far been pretty intuitive as to what I need to do. When I need help I have some great people at school who I can depend on to give me a hand.

End product, I haven’t put any money towards anything yet so I’m still talking it out with myself haha

I have time to decide, its not like the trans got any worse today.

holy shit charles dickens… Get a cl-s! Hahaha

:lol

I’m def not throwing this idea out yet.

Put 400 miles on her this weekend, trans behaved very well.