No effing wai.

Well, most of this stuff is meaningless, whatever they claim to base it on, its not 100% accurate. And yes, toyota is on its way to becoming shit…

The JD Powers rankings are pretty much useless, it’s like they just pick stuff out of a hat randomly.

That said mosty domestic cars have improved greatly over the past few years. Granted you could take a shit and have a better product than some of the shit from the 90s/00s. Problem is most people won’t look, and just assume.

buicks been up there for years. last i checked (2years ago maybe?) lexus/buick/porsche were always top

I was looking at '02+ Explorers/Mountaineers. They initially look decent, but as you go back in time they are all progressively being listed with more and more major problems. First the '02 Explorers were listed as having frequent failures of the 4wd system for various reasons, then the '03’s, then the Mountaineers.

Sure they seem to be getting better, but when it comes time to spend my own money on one of the biggest purchases of my life, I’m going to take the route of least risk. For now that’s still the Japanese manufacturers. There is a bit of extra risk now that my Nissan’s built in Tennessee and traditionally US manufacturing quality as been beneath the quality of Japanese manufacturing, but I’m hoping that when they opened plants in the US they brought their quality culture with them.

You can’t tell now how reliable a car is going to be in 5 years. What you CAN do is look at how reliable 5 year old cars are, and compare more recent trends. Hence the lag between an increase in design and manufacturing quality, and increase in reputation and sales. If GM and Ford continue this trend then my next vehicle may very well be domestic. Time will tell.

[quote=“Silver,post:17,topic:33640"”]

Little problems are often big hassles with a Porsche. Every time I have to order a part if has to come from Germany (apparently the dealership stocks little to nothing in the way of parts around here), not to mention it’s expensive to fix anything… but you accept that when you buy it.

[/quote]

It’s actually because of a move Porsche made last year to stock less parts not on currently “new” cars from their production line. Despite certain parts crossing between 987/986 and 996/997 45% of 996/986 and older models (914/944/901/930 etc) has been moved to the two main warehouses in Germany and Austria.

People that fill out and return their surveys drive those types of cars, that’s all it shows me.

x…

http://www.rspeed.org/forums/images/smilies/mswerd.gif thats true

[quote=“MPD47,post:25,topic:33640"”]

It’s actually because of a move Porsche made last year to stock less parts not on currently “new” cars from their production line. Despite certain parts crossing between 987/986 and 996/997 45% of 996/986 and older models (914/944/901/930 etc) has been moved to the two main warehouses in Germany and Austria.

[/quote]

Ahhh, word, makes sense.

[quote=“TrueBlue,post:15,topic:33640"”]

Yep. And this is nothing new, they’ve been moving up the list for a few years now.
No problems with my going-on-9 year old 300M either :dunno:
Is the list filled out by owners or independent researchers?

[/quote]

agreed 100%… I’ve owned many american cars from the last decade and with some minor exceptions, they’ve been great gars… no problems what so ever.

too many people hear “American” and assume it’s a POS, just like how a lot of our folks generation hear Japanese and think of junk/paper thin sheet metal, ect.

[quote=“Jon,post:16,topic:33640"”]

Consumer Reports >*

[/quote]

you mean the guys where hondas or toyotas win EVERY test, no matter what they’re up against?

When I bought my GTO I got a survey every day, no lie. I filled the first one out and I should not have as that just opened the flood gates for more and more surverys. The damn surveys were also as long as the SAT’s in High School. It got to the point that I kept the dollar they sent for your time completing them and mailed them back blank.

they enclosed a dollar in the surveys?

[quote=“02AccordCoupe,post:21,topic:33640"”]

Well, most of this stuff is meaningless, whatever they claim to base it on, its not 100% accurate. And yes, toyota is on its way to becoming shit.

[/quote]

I completely disagree. Some major learning experiences for all auto makers, were the mistakes that our domestic companies made up until recently. Toyota’s reliability slipped a bit, but I think they took notice to that before most anyone else did, and decided to do something about it. Which is a HUUUUUGE step in the right direction.

I don’t see them giving up top spot for a way long time.

[quote=“93z24,post:33,topic:33640"”]

I completely disagree. Some major learning experiences for all auto makers, were the mistakes that our domestic companies made up until recently. Toyota’s reliability slipped a bit, but I think they took notice to that before most anyone else did, and decided to do something about it. Which is a HUUUUUGE step in the right direction.

I don’t see them giving up top spot for a way long time.

[/quote]

Well, thats not exactly how i meant it, but yea… Id agree with what you said, its just that, they havent been doing so great lately, so i was commenting on the lack of attention to detail that they have had recently… They still will be way better than most, but im not sure if they will go back up to where they were right away…