VW reliability

here ya go sonny, theres the proof that you were asking for

http://www.detnews.com/pix/2004/11/09/biz/quality2_gfx_110904.jpg
I’m refering to fshowcar’s comments in this thread http://www.pittspeed.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10476&page=12&pp=15

if youre wondering why I’m commenting on VW reliability. I decided to repost it in here, because its also very informative too

Toyota reliability>*

I always find stats like this kind of misleading, or at least not telling the whole story. I don’t doubt that Toyota is high on the list though. But what’s it based on? Is this initial quality? Reliability over the first year, 5 years, 10 years? Mileage based? Time based?

I noticed the Grand Prix is listed on both sides. Supercharged is poopier. Doh! Guess that’s why I have an appointment for Monday.

damn, i think every VW was on the poor side…

VWs run fine as long as they are serviced properly and cared for.

If you are oblivious to car care then yea, you can neglect a civic and it will run forever, but neglect a turbo charged car and your asking for trouble…

I dont care for stupid reports like that. All I have to know is import > domestic reliability

i can tell you why all of those VW’s are on there and sum it up in 2 words “coil packs”

thats why each of those cars are on there, they all had crap coil packs in them and VW never did a true recall just replaced everyone when they broke. so they needed to go into the shop to get it fixed

well blue, i’m glad you tried to find backing for your argument but what is the comparision of? all i see is a picture someone made with vw at the bottom.

vw’s had bad window regluator clips (plastic vs metal) and bad coilpacks (misfires and losing spark in a cy)… so i’m not surprised the average ‘consumer’ can’t deal with a windows that fell into a door or a 3 cyl , 4cyl… but our inital argument was about build quality… not recalled components.

oh yeah i forgot about the window regulators… those bastards

that and sludge issues in the b5 and the oil issues (burning) in the 2.slows… and the earlier mk4’s had the rear brakes wear out in 100 miles because they were adjusted wrong from the factory.

i don’t know about you guys… but i’ve never had my Z28 in for warranty work… never had a problem once knocks on wood

i never had my car in for work… i never had bad coils, i just got replacements… i replaced the window regs when i had my doors apart… what blue posted is from average consumers that don’t know how to check oil

found this on teh interweb

http://www.pittspeed.com/uploaded/quality2_gfx_110904.jpg

all said and done, id still buy any used turbo vw.nice cars, good performance
the grand prixs on that list and outside of trans trouble, ill put reliablity test on my 145000 car to any car on that list.

x2 I know there REALLY good from my experience I beat the living shyt out of my moms old one And I even had it in the woods. Thing ran like a champ 96 Jetta. Now see got the OFour

:repost: :moon:

That looks more authentic than the original report Blue posted :dunno:

you can follow the link back to the original report, mine isnt doctored one bit.

god you guys are dense… by the way, pick up this months consumer reports, it has detailed explainations about why each car was scored.

how am i ‘dense’ when i’m not ARGUING AGAINST YOU all i did was ask you to prove what you were claiming… and after 12 some hours and countless google searching you found a chart… so :cookie: to you

actually, I didnt search for it. I was browsing another car message board, with a thread of “it must suck to own a new vw”, I clicked it, and voila, there it was. followed it back to the source, and read the article.