no heat

I replaced my water pump last week… I also removed and tested the thermostat, which turned out to be ok. now my problem is that the motor warms up fine and remains steady at the normal operating temperature, but I hardly have any heat blowing through the vents. even after half an hour on the highway, it’s still blowing cold air.

maybe the heater core is bunk?

do you hear the fan turning on? Anything? There is a small resistor board, located on the passenger side wheel well, just under the glove box (on s14 model at least).

The resistor board burns out, and its a common problem at GM and other makes and models, mine just went yesturday. 2 screws hold it in, kinda hard to explain where to get at it, and no one is really sure why they go.

One tech at my old work said a collection of leaves and other crap build up in the heater core, resulting in a really hot heater core, which may result in the frying of this board (only speculation, that is nothing but a guess).

Also, my dad lost heat in his '92 maxima. He said he opened the heater core, and cleaned out all the leaves and other junk in there, and it some what fixed his problem.

i’m gonna go to nissan in about a minute, your post reminded me that i lost my heat yesturday (it occasionally comes back on if i smack the shit out of the dash). If Village Nissan is still open, I’ll post the part #.

Usually, if this is the problem, your low fan settings will go first, and your heat will only work on the high settings. shout out to DQ for showing me this tip (anyone seen that guy lately?).

good luck!

thanx a lot! I’ll check the resistor and the heater core.

PART #

27150-72B01 99Z1 (95 240 sx se) Resistor

$36.00 TAXES INCL. (DON’T BITCH IF YOU’RE PRICE IS HIGHER, I GET A DISCOUNT).

To further explain it a little, get under your glove box, look for a set of 4 blue wires going into a clip. Unhook the clip, remove 2 screws with a small handle phillips (you will have to feel for the second screw in the back, its not visible). pull it out, replace it with the new unit, and you are done. It should take you no longer than 15 minutes to replace this resistor.

if you need some pics, lemme know.

EDIT - Obviosly, pull out your old resistor first, and take it to a nissan dealer if you don’t see any signs of wear (ask themn if they see anything).

its a real easy fix, and is fairly cheap and quick (if that really is your problem). This is the first area i would check, i’m on my second resistor in 2 years (i replaced the first one with a slightly used one though).

good luck!!

I still haven’t gotten around to checkin it out yet, but all your help is much appreciated.

thanx again! :thumright:

ah shit, i replaced the resistor, still no heat. I replaced dthe climate control unit, checked all my fufes, still no heat! anyone have any idea what it might be? the fan is not operating, i’m pretty sure there is an electrical problem somewhere in the system, but i can’t figure it out, and don’t want to pull my dash off just yet.

i’m gonna catch a bad cold fairly soon…

I just had the same problem last week. No fan, couldn’t find an electrical problem. Started her up on Sunday and let it idle for a half hour while I was poking around - VOILA! - started working again. Expect it was just some ice in the fan and needed to thaw out. It was warm enough on Sunday to finally let things thaw a bit.

Another thing, you said you had changed your thermostat. This means you likely drained a bit of coolant out. Make absolutely sure your system is full of coolant again and the rad/heater core are fully submerged in coolant. I have had difficulty oin the past with an air bubble preventing coolant from getting to the heater core after a flush. Fill from the external coolant reservoir and heat cycle the engine a few times, topping the reservoir up with coolant between each cycle. You can also try to “bleed” the heater hoses at the junction of the firewall to let any trapped air out that might be in the system.