no pain, no gain.

Another weekend of wrenching began this morning with me slowly moving on, drilling out the necessary holes on the firewall so that I could install the clutch master clyinder on the car. Things go great and the cylinder gets installed as well as the clutch pedal. The lines from the automatic transmission come out smoothly and its time to move onto the next job, the torque converter.

Now, I had already removed the transmission last week flawlessly but I didn’t bother with the converter, now I know why.

I had discovered an faq that would help me take off the torque converter but the reference image no longer showed up. All I remembered from the text was several 10mm bolts that needed to be tackled and I was ready to go outside and pound it out. Heres how I decided to do it.

Step number one.
Punching myself in the face with the end of a rachet.

I squeezed a rachet extension between the engine and the flywheel and it was pretty snug. I tried to get it in position so that I could tackle one of the 10mm bolts spoken about previously. The extension was a tight fit and I was holding it while attached to the rachet. I was moving it around and it got hung up and wedged… now comes the fun part. I did a ‘yank’, as in a pulling with efficient force towards myself. Unfortunately, I seemed to have forgotten where my face was at the time, and the ‘yank’ pulled the rachet out of the socket extension, going full out into the corner of my forehead.

HOLY FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU…
I hold my face, I stomp my feet, I partially do the squirming worm on my rolling ped.
I scream and wryth it off like a baby and I’m able to move on after a couple of minutes.
Haven’t felt pain like that in a long long time.

Step number two.
Drop a 40 pound Torque Converter onto the tip of your middle finger.

So I start taking the bolts out of the back of the flywheel after I’ve removed the necessary bolts from the previous little job that I made for myself. There are 4; 14mm bolts that attach the torque converter to the flywheel. It sound simple enough right? 4 bolts… but wait… I remember in the faq reference, something about getting somone to help you with this as a bonus.

I know the torque converter is heavy, and I space myself so that it doesn’t land on me. I take out the first three bolts without any issues, but that gosh darn last one. It decides that it wanted to get hung up on the flywheel and just sit there. Instinctively, I knew, OH, it must be the weight of the Torque Converter pushing down on the bolt, if I releave some of the pressure, then it’ll come out with no problems! Great! Lets DO this!
O’DOYLE RULES!!!

not…
The moment I apply upwards pressure onto the torque converter with my hand underneath, the bolt shoots right out, and the torque converter follows the rules of gravity which we all follow. I have pretty decent hand reaction times but no cigar, it crushed the living fuuuuuuuuuuuuuu… out of the tip of my middle finger.

BOOK IT!!! AHHHHHHHHHHH AHAHHAHAHA

Start running right out onto the driveway jumping up and down, Guy drives buy in a caravan looking at me like I’m an idiot. It didn’t hurt as much as getting powned in the face, but I knew that inside the glove that finger was exponentially increasing in size.
Pull the gloves off, thats it! I’m done!

So as I type, I’m using just the fingers on my right hand, with ice wrapped around my head and an egg sized lump above my eye, and ice wrapped around a middle finger that is twice the size as all of my other digits…
Last time I checked which was about an hour ago, my forhead looked like bloody knuckles and my finger was purple. awesome!!!

You know what though… I can’t wait to get back out there after dinner.

good get back out there and take some pics, no pics no gain, no gain, worthless pain. and yeah fingers and things dont mix IE: 2 by 4 into roof of house + left hand holding it + right hand 10 pound sledge hammer = not good. or my friend cutting up a tree with a chain saw and the tree was rested on his leg… we can all picture what happend… but the amount of money u save and the expirence you gain is well worth the pain… hey i made a rhym… awsome. anywho… welcome to working on your own car, as a hint any torqued bolts on anything always use a braker bar/ johnson bar… they tend to work a whole lot better than ratches and dont come out of the socket as often.

that sucks man hope your head is good.
check yourself next time or your gunna keep wrecking yourself.

its ok tho. i just ate shit a last thurdsay and gave myself 12 stitches to the head a black eye and a broken elbow and cuts that were flesh deep on my right side.
all because my dumb ass was waisted drunk and was tryin to make a skateboarding video. ah well…at least its on film…ambulance and all. one cut on my forhead and the other above my eye, the black nurse at the hospital asked if i was a boxer…im built like a stick man wtf.

guna put it on scars? and send me the link =)

Haha wow that actually sounds really painful.

Hang in there in the name of driving manual. :smiley:

no pics no care.

x2

This thread cracked me up… great story… aha

fobwall cracks me up with all his useless comments.

althogh i agree i only read mags. not novels… post some pics lol

of what? my finger? all the blood dried up and its not exciting anymore, i’m waiting for my nail to die and fall off. it’ll happen sooner or later. I had a hard time doing chin ups at the gym on tuesday, couldn’t grip the bars well at all.
my forehead hurts when i touch it but the bruising is all gone, so no excitement. as for the torque converter? I’m going to bring a mallet to it this weekend, i’ll take pictures then. piece of shit…

pussy.

go donkey punch the car and show her whos boss

GT

yes yes. i should go hurt myself more.