Noise Cancelling Headphones

My dad travels a lot. He almost always travels Jet Blue. With the TVs in the headrests, he watches a lot of tv.

I would like to get him a nice set of noise cancelling heaphones, so that he doesn’t have to use the dollar ones they hand out when you board.

Anyone have any recommendations? I don’t want to spend a buttload of money. My dad is NOT an audiophile. Just a guy that likes his TV on the airplane.

at a glance, I’d probably go with the Sennheiser - looks like a good price / performance and a nice lightweight package.

I just scooped up some Sony MDR-NC40’s from amazon for $60. They block out all of the sound that I need on a plane and are very comfortable. There are better out there of course, but for the money, I’d buy these again.

Links only provided for fellow mazda owners.

lol, I am not spending that much on them

Thanks for posting the first thing you saw on google though!

i bought a pair of sony “studio” headphones (like for a recording studio) cost me $20 bucks at sears. great for noise cancelling only downside is they are a bit bulky but they are the best headphones ive ever owned i can post a pic if you are interested

edit: these ones herehttp://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_05794662000P?vName=Computers+%26+Electronics&keyword=headphones

Ivee been researching them lately for under my helmet on the bike. Lots of ppl like the skull candy ones that are around $20. The higher end model has tons of complaints with them falling out of your ears. Im looking at noise isolating fwiw, not sure of the diff .

get him the dr. dre ones…

then he can be gangsta

either that or I always liked cnet reviews :bush:

To be honest, my $20 Skull Candy in ear ones work pretty well in my office and on planes at canceling out annoying kids.

I don’t think my dad would like the in-ear ones. he would probably look a little silly wearing skull candy too.

hmmm

noise canceling doesn’t just mean headphones block outside sound because they cover your ears, it meant that they have some active technology involved.

:word: I used them on my flight to/from New Orleans and the only thing I could hear was the music…

shit, I use them at work and can barely hear the loud/annoying idiots that work around me

+1

and when you are on an airplane, no standard heaphone will drown out the drone from the engine.

I have a set of JVC noise canceling ones (cost $50). They are in-ear style though. Just got them so haven’t used them on a plane yet, but so far around the house and office they are very effective.

waiting for someone to suggest bose

then i can laugh at them

what do ya’ll think about these?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductReview.aspx?Item=26-262-060&SortField=0&SummaryType=0&Pagesize=10&SelectedRating=-1&PurchaseMark=&VideoOnlyMark=False&VendorMark=&Keywords=(keywords)&Page=2

those are the same price as the Sennheisers I recommended.

oh, good call, let me compare the two.

edit: I actually like those a lot. The ONLY thing I dislike is that the noise cancelling module is seperate from the headphones. I like that the headphones themselves are small and lightweight though.

http://i.i.com.com/cnwk.1d/sc/31296835-2-440-overview-1.gif

I travel a lot for work and have those exact headphones and they work amazing. There is manual switch which emits a white noise to block out any noise. Its not 100%, but I would say 85%. Sound quality is incredible.

The best thing about them, is they fold to be compact enough to fit in the front of a laptop case. Highly recommended.

I’ve got a pair of Sennheisers that I got to replace a cheap logitech headset. The clearity, isolation, and quality of them is outstanding. Find a pair of those within his price range and check eBay for a pair (where I got mine NIB). If your old man is listening to tunes on the plane they will drown out most of the noise.

IF he is looking to severely block the noise, one of these (probably the Vic Firth) would be your best bet.

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/headphones/noise-canceling-headphones