Novice Bike: Ninja 250R - input/comments

600 is the way to go. You don’t have to use the power unless you want to. Just don’t be stupid and you will be fine…unless you try bombing through turns and eat shit which in that case it wouldn’t matter what bike you are on

damn my wife bought the 250 in 07 and then the next year the good looking bike came out

i NEVER rode a bike in my life till last summer. Jumped on a 07 R6 and figured it out as i went. And look at me, didnt dump it, crash etc. Stupid people will drop a bike whether its a 250 or a 1000…

My GF is tiny, like 4’-11’’ and 100lb’s… my friend was selling her 250 to get a 750gsxr. so she came over for my gf to take a look at the bike. long story longer GF is too short for a ninja 2fiddy! lol. so I took it out for a spin.

It really doesnt feel like I am riding a motorcycle. Feels like I am riding a bigger chineese 50cc pocket bike. very light weight, but… clutch is a MILE long, cable clutch so it feels like crap. cant possible stall this bike with a clutch that slips from amsterdam to albany, and a motor that couldnt move my lawn tractor. Just free reving it take an honest 8-10 seconds to get to redline! I booted it WOT through 1,2 & 3rd and wasnt even speeding down RT30 in amsterdam by my house. suspension is CRAP. like dangorous crap. I only wiegh 135lbs, and I bottomed it out on sunken manhole covers (like 1-2" deep) and even frost heavs would use all of the 3 inches of travel it felt like it had. rebound was WAY to fast. and I dont think compression and rebound are adj on these… just preload. The brakes were crap too. no feel, no power, rear brake was on/off on being locked up, off being foot off the pedal. A novice will grab a foot full of rear brake and slide it out.

Unless I was standing on the seat, I couldnt wheelie it. lol

If you ever rode a standard trans ATV, or a dirt bike. You dont want a ninja250. If you get the concept of a twist throttle, clutch, leaning into a turn and know the concepts of how and when to use the front/rear brakes, and how to use the throttle in a turn… do your self a favor and get something else.

The whole, 600cc might be too big for me… is crap. It isnt the size of the motor… it is the quality of the rest of the machine.

a newish 600 sport bike or sport/cruiser will have… Brakes you can feel and use, clutch that actually take a little skill to use (but will get used to in about 10 shifts), suspension with real dampinging, and RIDER ADJUSTABLILITY, a motor that could save your life (ie getting away from a car drifting into your lane, or someone running a stop sign your just lawfully started to go through, or car backing out of a driveway and there are cars comign at you in the other lane… things I have to do just about every time I ride).

you could have lowered it for her…thats what i had to do for my gf

I’d love to see that :rofl

I would ride that bike in a heartbeat and keep it for a while too. I see no point in going 180mph on 2 wheels unless I had some sort of death wish. You don’t have to ride in the triple digits to enjoy riding a motorcycle.

Buy a real 600 sport bike used and learn throttle control and you wont have a problem. Ride to your own limit, don’t push yourself if you aren’t comfortable, and you’ll be fine. My first street bike was a 600.

I agree… and me and vlad have had our heated discussions about this. I do see where vlad is comming from thou as well. Many good riders have started out on really small bikes, and they say while you can learn on a 600, generally the learning curve is a lot less when starting out on a smaller bike…

I started riding on a 2008 Ninja 250. I learned how to ride and was taking my friends who were on 600’s in the twisties within a month. The problem is, after your comfortable riding, for me it was the first month, you want more. A lot more. But as far as safe and a good started bike, its the way to go.

Pro’s: Inexpensive
Good to start on
Excellent MPG
Great Handling
Excellent Resale ( I sold it for more than I bought it)
Con’s:
Slow (Think I topped out at like 90)
Carburated (takes forever to warm up even in the summer)
Small (if your larger than 150 or 5’9)

It’s all about what your looking to get out of it. It won’t hurt you to start out on it and then upgrade. Safer is better and I do not regret buying it and learning on it.

sorry taking your friends on 600’s in the twisties?? NO way, unless they are the biggest squids ever to ride!

as for shady, get a ninja 250 and you will see it along w/ this stretched stuntin’

Nothin like wheeling a fat tire streched 1000 lol

exactly, not only does it look pimp sitting in a parking lot, it wheelies like stock, still rips off 9 sec passes, and handles in the corners good, i’m not being yanked in the twisties by anyone in here, thats FO SHOW!

So when you selling me that fuckin thing!

when ever you want it! i got over 20g’s in it so make me an offer!

Holy shit! Ill let you know as spring gets closer ***

s.t.f.u tony …see if i cover for ya again wit the cops lololol …ya need the lighnin back to seal the deal

Dont lie

lie about what?