Novice Rider - What to do?

For a while I’ve been thinking about getting a bike, and last night after
cruisin around with CRAP load kids from pittsburgh, most of them had bikes.

I like the R6, but I’m really leaning towards a gsx-r.
Now i’m sure most owners of bikes have had prior riding experience,
but i only have about 2-3 months (only b/c my friend lets me drive his
honda bike every so often).

Now with that said, should I maybe get a used bike to start out…or
just go ahead and get a new gsx-r? I’m just getting sick of owning cars,
the tC is nice, but I want two wheels now.

So anyone who owns a bike here, what model do you own, and how many
years have you been riding, and what do you think i should do?

thanks
zach

I have a 96 CBR F3, been riding for a good bit.

start off on a used bike.

realize CBR > *

and DONT FORGET YOUR HELMET!!!

I ride a 04 cbr 1kRR. ive been riding on and off since 99.

i wouldnt get new at all. and it figures you would say gixxer. that is what every newb wants. not bad bikes but just everyone gets them.

you riding your buddys bike on and off isnt really riding unless you been hitting some twisites and etc. any fool can go straight its when you can lean that bitch over where you have skillz. hell two brothers tonight in schenly was in front of us. we could of passed them in any bend but without knowing how they would react we didnt. there is actually alot to learn about bikes and riding before jumping onto a bike and saying you can ride. ppl that just jump on youll see those examples down the road…

Ive been proned to get a “gixxer” as you call it, for a long time, but i do like my
friends honda bike, it’s pretty nice.

I figured I would have to get a used one, b/c i wouldnt want to bang up a new
bike and be a disgrace to all the bike riders. Which bike should I get that is used then? I’m really fairly new to this. And yeah, I plan on auctally reading more in depth on bikes and how to ride them, I dont want to die lol.

And yes, helmet, a must, even tho pa passed that law, i still thing its retarded when
i see kids and the middle aged bikers riding without a helmet. Why would a state pass that law that gives you an option to not wear something that saves your life? PA is almost contradicting itself because of this click it or ticket bs.

Would any bike dealership have used bikes on their lot? Also, wouldn’t i need a
M-Class License(i believe it is) to auctally be able to ride the bike?

And take the motorcycle safety class. It’s also a good way to get your license if you don’t have one.

http://www.msf-usa.org/

i personally would learn how to ride on a 250 for a while then step up. but if your heart is set on a 600 to start on get something like a F2/F3/F4, older Srad gixxer,older R6s had issues. early 00 zx6rs are decent bikes.

now first thing i would do is get the bike some plastic no metal frame sliders. they save the bikes frame and motor big time. if it wasnt for mine my bike would of been really rashed up but all it did was shave down.

yes you can ride without a license but you do need a permit. you can ride without a helment only if you have 2 yrs or riding experience and have a license. if your under a certain age you must wear a helment. i think all passengers need a helmet.

some dealers have used bikes. but this place down off Rte 30 RoadRash has used bikes. www.rrash.com is his site. his name is adam tell him i sent ya. he has my one bike down there for sale. also check out www.bikerplanet.net its a local bike forum

Awesome guys! Thanks a lot. Sorry I asked so many questions lol, just wanted to get a few things answered before I make my voyage to the bike world haha

What about weight too? I weigh 230 lbs. Wouldnt that hurt a bike?

no that wouldnt hurt at all. just means you would need to properly setup your suspension to your body type

i ride a 94 gsx-r 750…start off with something used(less crying about it when you dump it or just drop it,not that you want that)

Get A Used 600

u take a spill already?

Yeah, I wouldnt want to do that. I’d feel like a dumbass.
Therefore im going to follow what everyone is saying and start out used