NYC Mosque

We have not had any good debate threads in awhile and this has been a big deal in the country now for the past couple of weeks. I have talked to a lot of people about it and most everyone, no matter what political side they take, all say the same thing.

In fact, they have a right to the freedom of religion and should be able to practice freely.

However, I find myself asking why they chose the building site they did. Because of their choice, for me, it has now become a matter of respect rather than a matter of religous freedom. I was brought up to learn that in order to get respect, you have to give respect. In this case they are not respecting the families and they very large number of people in this country opposed to the building. They have many other choices for building lots that are not 600ft from Ground Zero. Why is it so important to them to build there? It almost seems maliciously intentional.

Another thing I have thought about is this. Even if they move forward, who is going to actually build it? In NYC all you have for contract labor is unionized. And I will promise you that no NYC laborer is going to help build it. Nor is anyone going to unload the supply ships at port.

IMO this church is putting itself and its people in danger. They are going against what the country wants them to do just because they don’t want to move a few blocks down the street? Give me a break.

i hope that motherfucker gets bombed hardcore. FUCK THAT NOISE.

I really have no comment about the ground zero mosque, BUT…

Does anybody remember the nearly EXACT ISLAMIC MOSQUE that was set-up at the Pentagon ~ Sept 11, 2002, so that Islamic members could pray their 5x a day bullshit facing Mecca?

Of course you don’t, because there was no media/press there to make a big scene about it.

Had we been informed of the issue I am sure there would have been a big scene about it. But also remember over 3,000 people lost their lives in NYC. How many people died at the pentagon again? Exactly.

Even now I don’t think it would be as big a deal as the NYC Mosque.

Well when most people think “9/11” they think about the WTC, not so much the Pentagon and PA.

As narrow-minded as it may sounds, I think it’s a slap in the face to Americans. Historically, the Muslim people would build a mosque in a city they overtook in order to show dominance. I think that that is what some of the Muslims are trying to do. I know they’re mostly a peaceful religion, but every religion has their extremists. Look at the bombings of abortion clinics and the murders related to that.

It shouldn’t matter how many people died, the point is they were both terrorist attacks on our country. Granted the WTC attacks were pretty devastating.

The words “World Trade Center” are like a modern day ‘******’, if you say Pentagon people are just like “Oh, well that’s not really a big deal.”

If that Mosque is ever built, I’m sure it’ll come down just as fast as it went up, either by arson or some other means of destruction.

I don’t doubt there will be violent attacks on the mosque all day long, but then it will be all turned around to show that Americans are unwelcoming of foreigners and diversity. They’ll say how Americans in general are unconstitutional. It’d be like the Muslims would be winning again.

anybody down for a day trip?

True. Very true. We’re fighting a cold war that simply cannot be won.

Im all about freedom of religion but this one is hard to swallow. Just seems unnecessary to place it there. Honestly it seems unnecessary to put any religious buildings on ground zero.

a) It’s not a Mosque - it’s a community center
b) it’s not at Ground Zero - it’s a few blocks away
c) They choose this site due to it being a vacant building (a destroyed Burlington Coat Factory store) the whole neighborhood is in shambles.
d) There is a Mosque that is already closer to ground zero (been there since the 1970s) There are even a few churches.
e) There is a strip club closer to ground zero than this “mosque”
f) 9/11 wasn’t an attack from Muslims, it was an attack by extremists who even dislike most of the people in their faith. Does the Westboro Baptist Church speak for all Christians? (Even GWB says it wasn’t Muslims and this isn’t a holy war when it first happened).
g) There is no terrorist funding from Saudi Arabia. In fact, News Corp is funded by the same Saudi “terrorist” group. News Corp owns Fox News.
h) It’s freedom of religion. You deny one group, you need to deny it to all.
i) this is a hot topic used to stir up shit in a political election year, it’s meant to cause fear, hatred and dissidents among the US people.
j) this hate for the “mosque” being built is not just near ground zero; it’s in other parts of the US. People are protesting any mosque being built anywhere.

I was talking to a few guys here at work yesterday about this they said they can bet any amount of money that it will get torched during and after construction.

and everyone said that obama would be assassinated before he gets sworn into office…:retardclap

more importantly, there is a strip club close to ground zero? AWESOME.

I personally could give two shits about what happens.

In for strip club

LOL

a) It’s not a Mosque - it’s a community center Its a Mosque and a community center for the Muslim faith
b) it’s not at Ground Zero - it’s a few blocks away It is not a “few blocks” away it is two blocks away, nearly 600ft.
c) They choose this site due to it being a vacant building (a destroyed Burlington Coat Factory store) the whole neighborhood is in shambles. There aren’t other vacant lots they can build on?
d) There is a Mosque that is already closer to ground zero (been there since the 1970s) There are even a few churches.
It is not about what has been in NYC, it is about the fact they are building a Mosque there AFTER the attacks and naming it after a conquered city.
e) There is a strip club closer to ground zero than this “mosque”
What does that have to do with anything we are talking about?
f) 9/11 wasn’t an attack from Muslims, it was an attack by extremists who even dislike most of the people in their faith. Does the Westboro Baptist Church speak for all Christians? (Even GWB says it wasn’t Muslims and this isn’t a holy war when it first happened). Extremist Muslims
h) It’s freedom of religion. You deny one group, you need to deny it to all. We aren’t telling them they can’t practice their religion. We are telling them to respect Ground Zero and to use a different lot. What is so hard about that?
i) this is a hot topic used to stir up shit in a political election year, it’s meant to cause fear, hatred and dissidents among the US people.
It is a hot topic for a reason. If you don’t remember “extremist Muslims” blew up our city.
j) this hate for the “mosque” being built is not just near ground zero; it’s in other parts of the US. People are protesting any mosque being built anywhere.
And there are people protesting all the other types of churches being built also. Have been since the beginning of time. What is your point here?

It’s New York City. Of course there’s a strip club nearby. :rofl

A conquered city? You sure about that? Read up to see what really happened. The group also changed its name to appease the crazies at Fox News.