Muslims plan to open a mosque at site of World Trade Centers.

I thought this was better here than in Politics.

A group of Muslims, known for building mosques where Muslim victories have occurred, plan to open this on on 9/11/2011. The 10 year anniversary of 9/11.

Good. Lets show those goat herding taliban fucks that they didn’t scare us into throwing away our 1st ammendment.

Hrmm

Bloomberg put it a bit more eloquently:

"The simple fact is, this building is private property, and the owners have a right to use the building as a house of worship, and the government has no right whatsoever to deny that right. And if it were tried, the courts would almost certainly strike it down as a violation of the U.S. Constitution.

"Whatever you may think of the proposed mosque and community center, lost in the heat of the debate has been a basic question: Should government attempt to deny private citizens the right to build a house of worship on private property based on their particular religion? That may happen in other countries, but we should never allow it to happen here.

“This nation was founded on the principle that the government must never choose between religions or favor one over another. The World Trade Center site will forever hold a special place in our city, in our hearts. But we would be untrue to the best part of ourselves and who we are as New Yorkers and Americans if we said no to a mosque in lower Manhattan.”

---------- Post added at 12:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:54 PM ----------

http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/dailypolitics/2010/08/bloomberg-stands-up-for-mosque.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+nydnrss/blogs/dailypolitics+(Blogs/The+Daily+Politics)

---------- Post added at 12:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:54 PM ----------

"Of course, it is fair to ask the organizers of the mosque to show some special sensitivity to the situation, and in fact their plan envisions reaching beyond their walls and building an interfaith community. But doing so, it is my hope that the mosque will help to bring our city even closer together, and help repudiate the false and repugnant idea that the attacks of 9/11 were in any ways consistent with Islam.

:usa:

Fry nailed it.

edit:

Plus EVERYONE knows that Bush attacked the towers, so I don’t see what the big deal is. I heard he flew one of the planes himself and parachuted out last minute.

its around the corner from #7 but either way, fuck them. Worship in your own home. Public worship is only big business anyways

Yeah, that place won’t get damaged by NYC residents…

Yeah nobody would ever think to, I dunno, fly a plane into it or anything…

Oh well, private individuals can be as ignorant as they please. As long as our government doesn’t block it…

Seriously.

http://www.fivethirtyeight.com/2010/07/polls-reporting-on-ground-zero-mosque.html
It’s really a lot more than a mosque. And its really not at ground zero.

A group of Muslim businessmen and religious leaders have proposed building a 12-story facility called Cordoba House (or sometimes alternatively Park 51) in Lower Manhattan. The project would include a number of resources – “a 500-seat auditorium, swimming pool, art exhibition spaces, bookstores, restaurants,” its developers say – in addition to places of worship, probably including a mosque. The goal of the project is ostensibly to improve Muslim-West relations and show New York a more modern face of Islam; on the group’s website, for instance, most women involved with the project are pictured in contemproary Western business dress.

There are several things to unpack here. First, a bit of a geography lesson is in order.

To be clear, Cordoba House is “in the neighborhood” of Ground Zero, and this seems to have been a deliberate choice made by its developers. But to suggest that Cordoba House is “at” Ground Zero, as some reporting and opposition groups have, is either negligent or willfully misleading.

The World Trade Center campus, shown in purple in the map below, is quite large, roughly two-tenths of a mile by two-tenths of a mile across. Eleven different streets abut or intersect it, and there are numerous points of access by foot, by cars or taxi, or on public transportation networks.

Cordoba House, shown in a red outline on the map, would be on Park Place between West Broadway and Church Street. Park Place does not intersect Ground Zero; instead, it runs parallel to it, two blocks to its north.

It is unlikely that very many people commuting to the World Trade Center site would pass by Cordoba House – walking on that particular stretch of Park Place would not be a natural route except in unusual circumstances. Nor, does it appear to me, would Cordoba House be visible from ground level anywhere at the World Trade Center complex. The Federal Office Building across from Vesey Street on Ground Zero’s northern perimeter is sixteen stories high, as is the office building between Barclay Street and Park Place; they would presumably block the view of the more diminutive Cordoba House, which although somewhat architecturally daring does not contain minarets or other spire-like features that would give it greater prominence than an ordinary, 12-story building. Like dozens and dozens of other buildings, and several other places of worship near to Ground Zero, it would be quite well concealed among Lower Manhattan’s dense street grid.

Regardless of whether it is off the beaten path or not, some crazy will light it on fire, and the FDNY will make sure to keep their hoses on the surrounding buildings so they do not burn.

Meh, there are nicer buildings, architecurally, but that is pretty bad ass. I want to visit Cordoba House someday.

Once again, sensible thinking and sanity bring to light what a moron PureXTC is.

You dont think this “mosque” should be a question of debate?

I think youre a typical American that does not care what happens around the nation as long as you can still go slacklining on your days off. Do you even vote?

legally? no.

But don’t worry. As many have stated, the people of NYC will surely make sure nothing good happens to this place.

nope, unless you don’t believe in free speech. do you?

Maybe im getting old or something but I really do not care at all. The thought of these people practicing their religion as they please just doesn’t bother me. I mean if it was a blatant “hey look at what we did” type of thing then sure but thats not what it really seems to be.

just waiting for you to say “if you don’t like it, leave” and spit in your spittoon

Someone should open a pork BBQ place right nextdoor. Trump maybe?:slight_smile:

This group builds mosques at the sites of significant Muslim victories and they want to open this one “near” ground zero on the tenth anniversary of 9/11 and half of nyspeed is cool with it.