NYS power authority sucks

Small rant. I’m sure many of you already know about all this BS but there have recently been companies looking to start new facilities in Buffalo. Short version of the story, a steel plant, which would have created 1000 construction jobs and 300+ permanent jobs at the plant, wanted to come to Buffalo, but they are no longer looking to come here because the power authority said they can’t give them enough power due to most of it going to NYC. This used to be one of the most industrialized cities in the country. This could have helped our area a lot. There have been other companies (such as Google) who also wanted to move to a buffalo location but couldn’t because of the power issue. Sorry for the random rant. Just pisses me off. What’s the general take on this situation? discuss…

Heard about this on the radio last week.

Basically they told buffalo no, but they told a plant on long island “sure” days later.

yeah thats whay pisses me off. Everything in this state goes to support NYC and keeps the rest of the state in the gutter. If the past 3 major companies that wanted to come here actually did, it would REALLY help to turn WNY around. I cant believe that erie county would let them pass us by considering all the tax money it would generate. This is another prime example of why I want to move out of fucking NY.

Yeah, make plans and do it.

Maybe while you are sticking 100 water bottles into redemption machines to get a nickel that will make you think as well…

Eh, that’s not what they said or what’s being reported. Do you have a link to that?

There are several other businesses looking to come to the region and tap into the power. If they gave the steel company all the power they were looking for then their wouldn’t be any left over for the less power-consuming companies to set up shop. NYC has nothing to do with it.

And from what I’ve read, it’s 200 jobs. - Buffalo News LINK.

or he could just buy a Brita pitcher.

on the radio they mentioned that the issue was cheap power. the steel plant wanted cheap power and they would not provide the discount that they were asking for. I may have misheard though.

the issue is cheap power, not "not enough power " lol

you really think niagara falls doesnt produce enough power for another steel plant? srsly??

link here- http://www.buffalonews.com/cityregion/otherwny/story/641273.html

A start-up steel company looking to locate in New York State has walked away — again — from pursuing plans in Western New York after it could not get the allocation of low-cost hydropower it wanted from the New York Power Authority.

Steel Development Co. recently had been looking to build a 200-employee steel recycling and manufacturing facility in the Town of Shelby in Orleans County.

It was the second time the company had looked to the Empire State to build a plant. After being turned down for its first request for power a few years ago, which also might have been in Orleans County, it decided to build its first plant, now under construction, in Mississippi.

The company now will look for a site outside New York State for a second plant, Chief Commerce Officer Mark Bula told The Buffalo News on Wednesday.

Steel Development’s decision to walk away now follows a meeting last week in which the Power Authority made an offer of low-cost power identical to its offer a few years ago to an investment banker representing the company. The identical offers didn’t provide enough low-cost electricity to meet the company’s power needs, Bula said.

“We left the first time for that,” he said, “[and] we left the second time for that.”

your sig is quite fitting

from what i understand, niagara falls doesn’t power us at all. i believe it powers california, which is pretty nuts

or NYC…

most power that we use in WNY is generated from coal (think of Huntley, NRG etc), we use very little from the falls, that is sent over transmission lines to nyc or large commercial customers.

that seems so counter productive, isnt there a % of loss over that length of wire? wouldn’t it be more productive to have coal facilities closer to NYC for power production?

shhh this is NY. We can’t do anything that makes a lick of sense.

We are sitting next to the largest natural power source in the world and we don’t get the benefits. AND we pay higher rates than average. AND AC power pretty much started here too(see Edison/Tesla)!!! WTF?

“…it decided to build its first plant, now under construction, in Mississippi.”

I would bet that Mississippi pays almost 30% less for power than we do.
It is a joke with Niagara Falls in our state/region.

srsly jeg.

I’ll bet they can run coal plants with less regulation too.

Maybe they should give up on tourism, and run the falls plant at maximum capacity. It must suck producing a commodity that is instantaneously consumed as it is produced.

^Yeah right?

Wait until Obama taxes the f out of coal using electricity producers.
He has already said that he will put them out of business.
Nice stimulus.:bloated:

Serious question: when has Google ever looked at Buffalo? Link?

Not really much loss at a couple hundred thousand volts.