Yahoo expending in Lockport/Niagara region

http://www.buffalonews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20130320/CITYANDREGION/130329985

They are looking to build two new buildings.

Yea but you can’t work from home anymore :lol:

A way to weed out the people that worked from home and never accessed VPN :wink:

This sounds like an environmental disaster in the making, I’m going to sue them to preserve our natural beauty.

Fuck that noise :slight_smile:

Probably just dropboxed shit.

I hope that Buffalo makes a serious effort to get the call center somewhere within the city.

or data center!

Not going to happen. Has to be located with 30 miles of the power project which puts Buffalo out of contention.

The call center would need to be within a 30-mile radius of the Niagara Power Project in Lewiston in order to be eligible for low-cost hydropower through the New York Power Authority, the Cuomo administration said.

EDIT:
Hmmm, looking at the map again I guess Buffalo would be JUST inside the 30 mile mark.

Still really doubt it happens.

by just inside do you mean with 6 miles to spare via driving and not a straight 30 miles?

Yeah, that’s ok, Yahoo is a search engine, won’t take them long to find the article about the last time someone tried to move a bunch of jobs to Buffalo and the retarded Buffalo politicians started making demands about percentage of minority hires, percentage of city hires and living wages. Then they’ll build it next to the data center, or in Amherst. :wink:

I hope they keep it out of Buffalo.

It would be much nicer to see them build up a whole datacenter/tech center/campus in the lockport area.

Buffalo for some stupid reason over history kept spreading things around. Places that bring back city life take a small area rebuild and build out places to life, work, bars, etc. Hopefully the medical campus does this.

updated article - http://www.buffalonews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20130321/CITYANDREGION/130329830/1010

Lockport?! Fuck lockport.

Lockport it is.

You can’t go building datacenters in the middle of the city…

And before someone mentions Shatter, Level 3s POP, and Centrilogic all of those datacenters are a joke compared to what Yahoo built and none of them are designed to scale.

Shatters for example only has a single entry fiber and no generator.

So is there uptime like 50/50

Don’t forget the old Switch and Data and now Equinix data center in the main place mall.

Kind of a bs answer, that tells me they are not properly managing employee’s.

I never see a position open that really interests me there, not going to step back into NOC Operator type roles. fuck that noise.

i get that the city isnt ideal for a yahoo-style data center. however I would think a 100 person call center would be doable and that Buffalo would at least try to get it.