NYS Safety and Emissions Inspection Requirements.

yes i think that’s it actually lol.
there was a huge discussion about it on s2ki trying to pass turbo s2000’s and this was brought up. so you have to get crafty I.E tape your registration over the windshield of another registration instead of just scanning your registration while in your hand lol.

Hhhhmmmm this could be interesting

Bump, did we adapt California’s emissions? What’s the deal with catalytic converters if the car is from Cali do we have to use a carb cat?

50 state cats are now illegal in NYS. All cats sold/ used must be calif Cats.

Still using a straight pipe. Oops

lovely

pretty sure this is very false!

even if it was true that means every company that sell catalytic converters would have to update their website and pull remaining stock from stores. my DD malibu just passed late month with a aftermarket cat. with no issue and its a 2001. also how would anyone doing an inspection tell the difference? i know they sell the new cats. at part stores but i haven’t heard anything about this topic from anyone in the actual automotive field i.e. shops, teches or parts departments.

You should probably argue with the guy who works for the state and deals with this on a daily basis

Ill have to dig up the memo. this isn’t new its been going on since last summer, I think the start date was Jan 1. may want to contact a parts store. pretty sure they all had to send back non calif cats months ago.

Ok I cant get to the memo from home as I don’t have access to dmv network(only state email) from my house. I’ve been off work since Nov due to my friggen cancer returning. i’ll email one of the other guys and have them fwd it to me

more info
http://www.dec.ny.gov/chemical/90781.html

http://blog.hemmings.com/index.php/2013/06/19/new-york-state-enacts-carb-certification-for-all-catalytic-converters/

more info

This is what the CALCAT shit comes down to:
If your car is California emissions (worded epa as well) it MUST only have a CAL cert cat on it to replace the current one. If it is not you can use a federal certed cat.
Mind you, this applies only to repair shops, you can do what you want when it comes to it…

I guess if you buy a non Calicat then you can be fined also.

Awesome info thank you guys. This is how you tell also of the car adapts Cali emissions

Not true. You can buy federal only emissions for vehicles that are not California emissions.

Ah ok, this is just so confusing.

Yeah no shit… try explaining it to a customer…