NYS Use Tax.

After protesting claiming anything on my NY State income tax return under the use tax I finally gave in.

For those of you who use Turbotax, the software gives you an option to figure your use tax one of two ways.

The first is that you get out every receipt for every item you ordered online and did not pay tax on, then pay 8.75 percent.

The second is for if you bought items under $1000 during the tax year. They didn’t say if it was TOTALING less than $1000, or each item that you purchased was under $1000.

Anyways, I think it figures your use tax based on your income, and this is a NY State approved method of paying your tax. I suppose they will take anything at this point.

So, I paid my fair share of use tax, and it reduced my state return by 16 dollars.

Yeah, I think I can afford that. With the crisis going on in Albany and the country, you can bet that Patterson is going to be having state returns red flagged if you don’t claim your fair share.

Just one more thing to fly under the Albany radar…

I refuse to put anything in that box. FUCK NY

i always put that i bought $6 worth in it. Figured in the off chance that they do an audit of those with 0, or those 0-5, i’d be covered. Of course 0-10 i’d be screwed but oh well.

The only thing I bought online this year was from Amazon and they charge NYS tax. So 0 for me.