NYSafetyTrack

I was wondering if anyone else was hitting up NYST on the forum. Once my car is done I plan on investing in a trailer hitch and getting myself out there ASAP!

Definitely wanting to. Have full ability and means to do so but haven’t planned anything yet.

I just need a little push and probably I’ll talk Semir into it.

Dates will help with planning to. It’s not on the radar due to a million other things going on.

Worst comes to worst if Semir doesn’t want to go we can use my trailer to go up there.

Oh I wanna go! We can camp in the sweet trailer! Haha

The track is literally 70 miles away from Albany, you guys can ride there and checkout the action next Sunday.

Some more info I got. Looks like parking and pit is going to be an issue, the track is so new a lot stuff is just not in place yet. From what I know the curbs are not even in place yet…

New York Trackdays
OK, the time is getting close for our first ever trackdays on the new NY track! Some of the TTD staff did a test ride on the track so we could learn the lines (both directions) - and then teach them to y’all.

While there, we also took some time to figure out many of the logistics that make a day run smoothly.

One thing I want to make perfectly clear is this is a trackday - at a very tricky track - that is new and not really finished.

This is not the time to go hard and let it all hang out. Treat it like an awesome street ride and leave plenty in reserve.

As for which direction we are going to run, I am leaning toward clockwise (Downtown), but that may change based on the track. I assure you that both ways are a lot of fun, so there are no wrong answers. We are not running the track both ways because it is too hard to learn and you’ll want to concentrate on just one direction.

Whichever way we run it this time, we’ll run it the other way in August.

Some other things we noticed:

1 - The parking area is small. If you have the option to “carpool” with somebody for the ride - do it. The fewer vehicles, the better. There is a RIDE SHARING section on the TTD Forum, and you can also post up in the Facebook group (you are a member of that, right?)

2 - With a small paddock area, you are going to be very close to your neighbor. We had one generator going today and it was annoying to talk over. It’s going to be crazy loud with lots of generators - and moving it far away isn’t an option as the place is just too small.

3 - Think twice about the need for tire warmers and all the extra hassle. We did our test in 50 degree weather and none of us used warmers. By the second lap or so, the tires were just fine.

4 - The parking area is all on a multi-directional slope. Use of race stands is going to take some extra care to ensure the bike is stable. More reason to just leave it on the sidestand without warmers.

5 - If you don’t have an enclosed trailer, think about getting a canopy. If it rains there is nowhere to “hide” so you’re standing in the rain. They are good for sun too!

6 - The track is very physically demanding, so using the main straight to take a rest is going to be smart. Hopefully you do trackdays for the corners, so chilling out on the straight is a good way to be ready for another lap and will allow the faster riders to pass safely on the straight - as passing in the corners is going to be tough.

7 - Bring extra gas! There is no gas available at the track and for some reason, this place eats fuel like crazy! You are not wide open like NJ, but you are always on the gas with virtually no hard braking areas.

8 - We are not supplying any water or gatorade, so be sure to bring your own.

Finally, please do not arrive at the track before 7PM on Saturday. There is another trackday being run on Friday and there simply isn’t enough space to let our riders in. The track will not let you in and there is no where to “line up”. The driveway into the track is also some guys driveway so you cannot block it.

Do not expect anything like NJ or NH. The access road to this place is a small, dirt road… lots of cars and trailers lining up waiting is not going to cut it.

If you’ve got a trailer I’ll tag along!:excited

Here is the calender. NYST has it’s own track days now, my days have been switched around at work yet again, so I’m free Fridays and Saturdays.
http://www.nysafetytrack.com/calendar.php

Damn, It’s on a sunday. I’d have shown up and snapped photos of you with the DSLR.

WOW, was there drop off the bike today. The pit area is by far the smallest pit area I’ve seen on any track. The “lane” (yes only one lane) in the pit are is so small larger truck and trailer will not fit without taking all the bikes that are parked alongside with it…totally not a joke, I mean literally. Even if they do have spaces for big trailers, but unless you have one of those you will be forced into what I called the “graveyard”.

However the real problem is it is not on leveled ground, when you advertise yourself a “motorcycle” track and give people slopes to park their bikes, it became a problem.

Got any pic’s?

I want to try and be there by the end of June or the beginning of July.

The track is so close, I went home for dinner and sleep…:rofl Literally 1hr from Albany.

We were running the “downtown” direction (clockwise) and T7 will launch your bike if you carry too much speed. Pretty sure my rear wheel lifted a few times but I backed off more as I picked up more speed going up the hill. Very nice track with good flow, and lots of off camber turns; there are also turns that literally drops off near the apex, so after you tip in not only will you not be able to see the exit of the turn, but also a good half of the turn. Topped 5th on my SV and very very close to the limiter, did not check the speedo but base on my gearing and rpm, I should be doing about buck 30.

wow not alot of space huh… lots of Kawasakis 600’s there

Rocket, did you get any onboard video of the track?

Very tight pit probably 10’ wide by 40’ deep. May be I was just spoiled by NHMS’s 30’ wide by 100’ deep pit area…:rofl

I personally did not take any vid, I am still trying to rig my camera on my bike without it being in my face when I am racing; However there are plenty people that have onboards:

On board Tony’s Track Day Instructor “Pete”:
[ame=“http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJAN6mEVD68”]Tony’s Track Days @ NYST (Downtown) SV650 and RS125. - YouTube[/ame]

Onboard fellow black group rider who rides an Aprilia:
[ame=“http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DcffA9mtQOA”]Tonys Track Days - June 3 - NYST - 4:00 Black Group - YouTube[/ame]

the blind turns kinda scare the shit out of me haha ive never been on a track and whats the slowest you can go haha?

/\ just fast enough to avoid a black flag! lol

The good thing about trackday is there will always be a group that will fit your speed, but obviously we aren’t talking about just cruising on 2nd gear all the way around. :tongue

oh i get that just dont wanna be followed by you or someone who knows how to ride alot better then me and then crash for some reason, and this is making me wanna get the track bike together and running!

Depends on the club, passing rules for different groups will eliminate 99% of the riders being taken out by other riders. Some clubs are more fun oriented and safer, some are more open and “free-for-all”.

ahh gotcha what do you have for fairings on ur sv?

Looks good did you take their class they offer or no? Not that you need it.

$300 cheap ebay fairing (essentially a cheap fiberglass copy of the OEM fairing), will only work with stock clip-on…:rofl

TTD don’t have classes, or do you mean the one-on-one thing?

Sorry I was thinking the PTR school thing. It’s 360 and a normal day is 220. may have to sign up with TMP for the arc class level 1.
Not sure if the member days cover classes. I’m looking to take my riding to the next level.