NYSpeed @ Winged Warrior Performance Challenge - May 11th, 12th 2007

[quote=“RedConquestTSi,post:297,topic:22533"”]

For the distance traveled, the turnout was not like what we expected, it was highly unorganized, the autoX sucked,…i could go on forever.

[/quote]

I thought there was another Taurus, and even a DSM that broke!

What are you talking about? lol

lol @ me and sasquatch.

I heard only 3 NYSpeeders competed… wtf is that shit?

I’ll be back next year :tup:

This is only the 3rd event EVER that they’ve held, and the FIRST at any sort of real raceway. The organization will get much better.

Like I said on the WW forums; there are plenty of “fastest drag car” and “fastest auto-x car” events out there, but I can’t think of any events that are held annually that rewarded you for having a great all-around car and skill at both types of competition.

On top of that, there is so much to do in the city. Great restaurants, plenty of clubs / bars and other stuff to do. I know we had a blast going out Friday night :tup:

And on top of all that, the money goes to helping sick kids. You can’t beat it.

[quote=“dozr,post:304,topic:22533"”]

[/quote]

Almost everyone pussed out. We only went with 6 cars.

[quote=“Onyx Z32,post:305,topic:22533"”]

I’ll be back next year :tup:

This is only the 3rd event EVER that they’ve held, and the FIRST at any sort of real raceway. The organization will get much better.

Like I said on the WW forums; there are plenty of “fastest drag car” and “fastest auto-x car” events out there, but I can’t think of any events that are held annually that rewarded you for having a great all-around car and skill at both types of competition.

On top of that, there is so much to do in the city. Great restaurants, plenty of clubs / bars and other stuff to do. I know we had a blast going out Friday night :tup:

And on top of all that, the money goes to helping sick kids. You can’t beat it.

[/quote]

when i originally decided to go i only had the tib, and didnt wanan drive that far to compete and break it and have no way to get it back… the whole time i was tehre i was regretting not competting

[quote=“Onyx Z32,post:305,topic:22533"”]

[/quote]

Or had problems getting the parts they had already ordered :wink:

I had a great time and while the AutoX course workers made for some dangerous and unfair situations the event as a whole ran really smoothly considering how much they packed into one area in one day. I didn’t get all my autoX runs in, but that was our fault for being late.

Where else can spectators catch this view from the comfy shaded bleachers at the top…two cars at the tree on the strip with autoX right behind them:

It was a great event and I plan on going again next year.

-Mike

maybe it was just me and justins car because we have extremely cramped engine bays but our cars were so hot you couldent toutch anything infront of the front doors. I had no brakes after the first autoX because there was so little time between runs and didn’t get them back 100% untill i raced the dragstrip imediatly after autoX. I came close to rolling the car at autoX and on the “jump” or pavement transition i anniliated a strut rod bushing becuase when the car landed the brakes were still applied hard and the wheel was turned (causing the near roll over condition) don’t worry i have video, and to make the situation worse my struts in the front end acted like they were completely blown out when infact they hardly have 1K on them. this was because they were so hot from my over heated brakes engine, transmission, and P/S system (which puked fluid all over)

I just needed a bit of cool down time between runs. 10-15 min would have been fine but that is not what we got. the course workers were already mentioned. cones were down for 2 of my runs and i came WAY too close to a course worker on the chicago box after the first turn. it scared me but i think it scared him a whole lot more.

I know my complaints revolv around my car’s cooling system not being up to snuff but i highly doubt there is anything i could do about it in the future because there is just too much heat to disipate… WTF i overheated my struts! that should never happen. and BTW they are destroyed again :frowning: i’ll probably swap my motorcraft struts back in. i hate tokico.

edit: the event was neat though. it was a nice city and the hotel was cool. but i would not be able to justify racing there again. the way they were setup was too much. you better be damn sure your car is 100% if you racing next year. primarly the cooling system. i’m glad i don’t have a oil temp gauge i would hate to think what that was at.

i had an absolute blast. the cruise was great even though it was mostly interstate, and it would have been even more fun had there been more cars.

the compettition/show was unorganized, but the venue is excellent and can only get better with more cars.

if i had competed i might not have had as much fun. but this is the reason i dont auto-x anymore with my own car. it takes the fun away from being at an event with your friends. i am just not that competitive when it comes to auto-x to want it to take up my entire day, instead of walking around with friends, making fun of track announcers, talking about boobs.

anyone who doesnt go next year is going to regret it. i think the stories and experience will be 5 times better next year, esp now that we know the city a little better. and know where the sluts hang out

oh and andy, no offense but if your car was better equipped to handle the stresses of racing like this, then you wouldnt have to worry. but thats the catch. as much fun as it is telling people about a built SHO, you take the risk of not having the optimal setup. to blame the event for that is silly. maybe next year go without the car? or compete with someone elses better equipped car? justins car (from what you guys told me) was operating within its limits for engine temps. i just hate to see you miss a good event

[quote=“dozr,post:304,topic:22533"”]

[/quote]

where were you?

[quote=“somedude,post:309,topic:22533"”]

I came close to rolling the car at autoX and on the “jump” or pavement transition i anniliated a strut rod bushing becuase when the car landed the brakes were still applied hard and the wheel was turned (causing the near roll over condition) don’t worry i have video, .

[/quote]

No one got airbourne on the bump all day, a few people lifted inside wheels, but NO ONE got 4 off, and if you came down with your foot on the brakes after lifting wheels that’s your own stupidity. #1 rule when going 3, 2, or 1 wheeling, do not get “traction” again with a foot on the brakes.

It also sounds like you didnt have proper ducting or cooling systems in place for crucial components that take a ton of heat in a competitive atmosphere. Basically, you have no right to complain about your own problems as if they were event issues.

[quote=“MPD47,post:312,topic:22533"”]

No one got airbourne on the bump all day.

[/quote]

BS…I seen it happen alot, with the other groups as well. That bump was bigger then it looked.

The course should have been designed differently, so you didn’t have to be “on the brakes” immediately after “landing.”

No, from one angle it appeared as though people were airbourne, however, it was merely an optical illusion caused by heat on the pavement and the change in elevation. I thought people were going 4 up at first too, but no, no one was.

And :lol: @ “BS I FUCKING SEEN IT”

You need to have your car prepped for these types of situations if you want to be successful. I lost the mirrorkhana at Valeo a few years back because I won 5 or 6 straight head-to-head runs, and you had to just keep going. Eventually my brakes were just too overheated and I totally lost them, which led to me losing.

Was it the events fault? No… If i would have had a better braking setup I would have been fine. My Fault.

[quote=“LAFENGAS,post:311,topic:22533"”]

where were you?

[/quote]

In Cleveland for a family thing.

[quote=“MPD47,post:314,topic:22533"”]

No, from one angle it appeared as though people were airbourne, however, it was merely an optical illusion caused by heat on the pavement and the change in elevation. I thought people were going 4 up at first too, but no, no one was.

And :lol: @ “BS I FUCKING SEEN IT”

[/quote]

lol you’ve got an excuse for everything…

[quote=“MPD47,post:312,topic:22533"”]

No one got airbourne on the bump all day, a few people lifted inside wheels, but NO ONE got 4 off, and if you came down with your foot on the brakes after lifting wheels that’s your own stupidity. #1 rule when going 3, 2, or 1 wheeling, do not get “traction” again with a foot on the brakes.

It also sounds like you didnt have proper ducting or cooling systems in place for crucial components that take a ton of heat in a competitive atmosphere. Basically, you have no right to complain about your own problems as if they were event issues.

[/quote]

i wasn’t aware that anyone made cooling ducts for struts? i don’t think there is any way to prep my car for that kind of abuse. the speeds arn’t high enough to cool anything on my car for constant abuse like that. better pads would have helped my brakes and a bigger rad would have helped the engine but a 12X12" cooler with a 590cfm fan going from the first autoX to the end of the first drag. that still wasn’t enought to keep it cool. i would also bet that i was the only one there able to run first gear for the entire course so 4-8Krpm sucks for cooling stuff down.

all i needed was 15-20min between autoX and that would have been enough to let things cool. my car could run back to back drags all day and never blink. the TC can’t lock in first so the tranny make a crazy amount of heat.

and on the jump. it should not have been put in the middle of a braking point. when i braked before it i lost too much speed. if you braked after you had too much so that left me with the option of being slow or using the extra traction generated by landing as braking force which worked great twice and the thrid time shit broke.

oh and alex, no offense but if your car was better equipped to handle the stresses of racing like this, then you wouldnt have to worry. but thats the catch. as much fun as it is telling people about a built SHO, you take the risk of not having the optimal setup. to blame the event for that is silly. maybe next year go without the car? or compete with someone elses better equipped car? justins car (from what you guys told me) was operating within its limits for engine temps. i just hate to see you miss a good event

it is a taurus there is only 1 modified to handle the stress of that course. and it is more money than i could ever afford. i really didn’t have that good of a time to be honest. it was just a expensive weekend.

[quote=“somedude,post:318,topic:22533"”]

i

it is a taurus there is only 1 modified to handle the stress of that course. and it is more money than i could ever afford. i really didn’t have that good of a time to be honest. it was just a expensive weekend.

[/quote]

my bad about your name, i realized that when i was outside talking to nick. dont know why i thought andy.

but to continue this discussion. i am not saying you have to modify the taurus to be able to handle the stresses. i am not saying anyone should. but when we are talking engine cooling, trans cooling, brakes…these are things you have to think of when wanting to compete. with a sho it is hard right off the bat because it is not built for auto-x, esp not run to run to run etc. but you know this and it doesnt seem that you are complainging about that to much so onto the next topic

your shocks. man thats fuct. and i doubt thats at all normal (call the company) but again, i wouldnt blame the event. yes the event is tough being so back to back. but maybe it would be more fun to you if you took a break and let the car cool somewhere else? only made 4 runs instead of 6?

i am sorry to hear you didnt have fun but i think fun was there to be had. maybe next year arriving earlier would help. being 21 prolly would have helped a little bit if only to see lafengas and i try and drink as many .50 rum and cokes as we could because we only had 11 minutes before that deal was over. my point is the potential for fun was there…maybe more so than you relaized because you were focused on racing. but now that you now what to expect from racing that far away, you can be better prepared…and have even more fun. this can only get more fun next year. more people, more cars…it can only get better.

it being further away only added excitement for me. something about traveling to places NOT buffalo is always fun.

your shocks. man thats fuct. and i doubt thats at all normal (call the company) but again, i wouldnt blame the event. yes the event is tough being so back to back. but maybe it would be more fun to you if you took a break and let the car cool somewhere else? only made 4 runs instead of 6?

i can’t do anything as far as warranty i don’t think. tokico gave me and mike@innovative the runaround from hell trying to get themn warratied last time and the ones i got back were never as good as the origional ones i got 2 years ago… not even close. at any rate i overheated them. between the engine bay heat and brake heat the ambient temp for the front struts was easly above 300deg between events. i want koni’s so bad but i don’t know if i can justify throwing over 450 worth in struts in the garbage.