obd2 honda turbo help!

ive ended up in a bit of a pickle. i have the turbo kit almost ready to get slapped on the honda (d16 non vtec). but tuning is becoming the real issue. Anyone knows that to really tune a honda you most use crome/neptune etc, this involves converting to obd1. ok so i could do that but it means every year when i go to get it inspected ill have to swap injectors,change ecu’s, and crank the wastegate to dump the boost out. is there any other options out there where i could keep the obd2.

i cant go aem ems to expensive for a college student. ive heard of the afc hack but not much else. suggestions please…

get a pre 96 honda?

college student says it all, i would love to but it is just not an option

there’s your answer. It’s not really all that much work once a year.

seriously, either buy an obd1 car, or deal with what you posted above. Piggybacking your obd2 ecu can be done, but I guarentee you it will cost you more time and money in the long run and will be a half assed tune in comparison.

Hell, if you are that set on keeping it obd2. I have a nice little gadget for piggybacking I used on my boosted honda that worked great I can sell ya. If you want I could even tune your car using it with my wideband. However, you will still have no ability to retard your timing under boost unless you get an msd btm, and your partial throttle tune will most likely half suck and net you shit gas mileage. But, my offer still stands.

which gadget are you talking about? you see i still need to have my po6 coverted to p28 spec, than i have to have it chipped, then have the car tuned, its a good chunk of change i would be spending.

what do you think of this controller : http://swervemotorsports.com/aem-advanced-engine-management/aem-fuel-ignition-controller-fic/301910/i-112732.aspx
ive done a bit of reaserch and everyone says it pretty good for its purpose.

or i may just have to afc hack it and retard the cam timing some idn

Or you could find some one on the board with the same car and talk to some one on here about inspecting yours with the other persons computer… I have offered that to a few EVO owners who (have gt35r) and are OBD0

I can do your ecu conversion and chipping. It’s very inexpensive. Then you can have mike at innovative tune you, because I don’t have all my real-time programming shit up and running.

The gadget I have is called an smc500 built by hondaheads who know electronics. It’s actually very similar to an afc(yet a simpler design and operation), but has a shitty interface to program with (one push button and a blinking LED).

That product you posted will work just fine. However 400 just to be able to control your timing, fuck that. Goes right along with my previous post that you are going to waste a ton of money trying to make this work right and it still won’t be as good as chipping an obd1 ecu.

One more thing you have to understand is that if you go with all these piggyback systems, it’s going to cost you a shitload come tuning time because these gadgets all typically take a lot more time to program and adjust. If you decide to stay the obd2 route, seriously talk with mike about what products you are thinking of purchasing because there may be products that he WILL NOT tune with because they are shit.

well this is my last step of the turbo setup, so it wont be happaning for like a month or so. will you have the real time stuff by then? also im not going for max hp numbers, a nice street tune maybe like 180whp ish. if im gonna do it i may as well do it right. if you could pm me with a estimate as to the price of the conversion etc. i would like you to tune it as well, just dont blow my shit up

Here’s a brilliant idea :fail:

ecu conversion depends on what ecu you have. It will definetely be sub $100 just to give you a ballpark if you had no idea.

You’ll need a conversion harness which is roughly 80 bucks.

And for the tune. Mike at innovative has way way more experience in this realm. I could probably give you a decent safe and reliable tune, but I’ll guarentee you his will be better. Tuning is an art form. The more time you’ve been doing it, the better you’ll get at it.