Official 07-08 Penguins Thread

Crosby should have gave her a signature Darius Kasparaitis hip check for saying that.

Can’t wait for season to start!

I heard she was on the news saying if it was mario delivering her tickets she would have passed out…haha

Training Camp Starts today!!!..pretty sure the first preseason game is on the 22nd.

yay

First Home preseason game is 10/22 vs. Detroit. They play two games before that but Iforget the dates.

is that outdoor game in buffalo on new years day a definite? i’d like to make a road trip for that one.

I’ve got tickets in hand for both preseason games :slight_smile: and the Buffalo game—oh my I will be there, it’s going to be a little chilly but nothing a flask of goodness can’t take care of!

i believe so. im pissed, it was supposed to be feb 17th.

ill be at 7springs on new years

Yea, the Buffalo outdoor game is Jan 1st. I wish I can go but I don’t wanna drive to Buffalo on NYE and stay overnight. It would be an awesome tailgate though!

Sounds like a decent preseason game…crosby had a goal and assist…malone got a goal…and laraque beat the shit out of Andrew Archer and “left him bloodied”…and had to get x-rays on his face. But Kovey got the game winner in OT with like 30 seconds left.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/penguins/s_528004.html

Aside from Crosby, the only notable aspect to the Penguins’ performance was a spirited effort by right wing Georges Laraque. Criticized during the Penguins’ opening-round playoff loss to Ottawa for not providing a physical presence, Laraque was exactly that against Montreal.

Nearly six minutes into the game Laraque engaged Canadiens’ defenseman Andrew Archer in a fight, and promptly floored him with a series of punches that left Archer bloodied.

Archer left the game with what the Canadiens termed a facial injury. He was taken to a local hospital for X-rays

Nice. Going to the game on Saturday.

Front row A31 Saturday—mmm

Laraque about to explode Archer’s face

http://www.habsinsideout.com/habs04.JPG

I’d love to see the aftermath of that.

Georges Laraque FTW. I hope he lays the fucking lumber down this year.

I just hope Laraque does what he was brought in here for. He isn’t here because he is a good hockey player, he is here to get a little more room for Crosby and Malkin to do their thing.

Is there a decent vid of that fight online yet? I saw the one from 1059thex.com’s site, but you didn’t get to really see anything.

Brooks Orpik apparently collided w/Peter Sykora last night and messed him up…I haven’t heard anykind of update on his condition though

I heard broken nose…out for 2 games…no big deal

Crosby is being considered for the PK…man we will be scary…Staal and crosby on the PK…

Penguins Training Camp: Reward potentially great with Crosby as a penalty killer
Thursday, September 20, 2007
By Shelly Anderson, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
It seems that Sidney Crosby is constantly adding new roles and titles.

Though just 20, he has been hockey’s top ambassador for some time. He was the NHL’s scoring champion and MVP last season and was named the Penguins’ team captain in the offseason.

Now he could add the final facet to his on-ice role. Already the Penguins’ top-line center, quarterback of the power play and top-three shootout participant, Crosby will be given a chance earn a spot killing penalties.

Coach Michel Therrien said yesterday between training camp practices at Mellon Arena that he is looking to add at least one more forward pairing to the two that carried much of the load last year, Maxime Talbot-Colby Armstrong, and Jordan Staal-Ryan Malone.

Several players will get a shot.

“We need to try to add more people,” Therrien said. “There’s [Jarkko] Ruutu, who has a little bit of experience with the way we play. And we’re talking about a Crosby. We’re talking about [an Evgeni] Malkin. We’re talking about [an Erik] Christensen.”

Ruutu, Malkin and Christensen, among others, spent some time on the short-handed units when the Penguins played two preseason games in Montreal earlier this week. Crosby, who played in the first game, did not kill penalties.

He might before the preseason ends or during the regular season.

“I want to make sure I can do a good job and I’m responsible out there, but, yeah, I’m interested,” Crosby said.

"I did it in junior. And even the last two years here, I’ve been involved in the penalty-killing meetings. I tried to make sure I was learning as much as I could. Then the odd time I’d be out there the last 10, 15 seconds [of a short-handed situation], I had to make sure I was in the right place.

“It’s one of those things you have to be in it in order to get used to it, to find yourself, find your position. You can draw it up all you want, look at video all you want, but once you get out there you have to be able to react.”

Given his two-way play as a center and prolific scorer – 75 goals and 222 points in his first 160 NHL games – Crosby could be an asset as a penalty killer while adding minimally to the 21 minutes, 40 seconds of ice time he averaged last season.

He understands the balance between defense and offense while killing penalties.

“Your first responsibility is not to get scored on,” he said. “At the same time, I would have to use my instincts and if I see a chance maybe I can be a threat offensively. Maybe I can back them off and create something. You’ve got to look at the risk and rewards.”

The Penguins already have a scoring threat as a penalty killer in Staal, who as a rookie last season led the NHL with seven short-handed goals, or half of the Penguins’ 14, which tied for fifth in the team statistics.

With the addition of Crosby – or Malkin, who had 85 points as a rookie last season, or Christensen, who has a sniper’s shot – the Penguins stand a chance of becoming one of the top short-handed threats in the league, especially if they can improve their penalty killing on the road.

The Penguins had an overall success rate of 82.1 percent, 17th out of 30 teams. They were strong at home (87.8) but struggled on the road (76.2). They also got stronger down the stretch, killing 87.6 percent of opponents’ penalties in the final 20 games.

“The four of us had good chemistry last year,” Talbot said. “If you can put maybe another two guys together, we could have more jump.”

That motherfucker is unstoppable.

I can’t wait to see once he’s in his prime years after 5-6 years of playing.

Cool video of yesterdays “town meeting” for the season ticket holders…funny stuff at the end with fleury

http://www.postgazette.com/pg/07264/819370-61.stm