Official 08-09 Penguins Thread

I’ve got ya.

It’s really a guessing game right now. You’re going to have guys off the books like Garon, Fedetenko, Sykora, Satan, Zigomanis, Minard, Gill, Scuderi, and Boucher.

Also remember you’re going to have increased cap hits from guys like Staal, Malkin, Kunitz, Fluery, and Talbot (who are all recieving increases in salary from this year to next, so their cap hits will adjust)

From what I’m reading on an NHL salary cap website, the Pens should have roughly $15 million to spend on next seasons team but they will need

3 forwards
2 defensemen
1 backup goaltender

and then fill in the other 2 roster spots with guys from the minors.

My best guess (and this is just a total guess) is that you give Sykora $3mill for the next two seasons. That gets you down to $11 million. Sign Scuderi for a million for 2 years, that gets you down to $10, sign some other jabroni defenseman to be your 6th or 7th guy (depending on Goligoski) for $750k, pickup a decent backup goalie for around a mill a season, that get you down to a little over $8 million, sign another fill in forward for $1.5, now your down to like $6.5 to 7 million under the cap, and usually they say you want to leave around $2.5 under just in case of injury and stuff like that so that leaves you roughly $3.5 to $4 million to try and pickup a winger that can be of use to Sid.

I dunno. I think, looking at it that way, you almost have to move Staal, or we’re going to end up like Tampa Bay. Staal gives you the leverage to make a move for a winger, and then use that extra $4 million to pickup a better defenseman than Scuderi, a better backup goalie, and maybe a more meaningful fill in forward in the $2million range instead.

But then again this is why Shero gets the big bucks.