OFFICIAL: 2008 TAX RETURN THREAD

just did mine, getting a nice chunk back!

woo woo

Me too. I got $2,000 for paying tuition at RMU.
Plus 1 child
Plus tax stimulus thing.

PAID.

YAY… i will be paying a couple $K as usual. I need to adopt some kids…

jtech + weaksauce = negative income again

…im pretty used to not receiving a tax return

I bet you have a lot of losses to carryforward though. Keep track of those, because you can use them to offset your income once Jtech starts having more profitable years.

You could just have more withheld during the year to keep from owing.

your right i could, But I already claim no one… it would just be an extra hold back. but i would rather have that money in my account to do what I want with instead of the gov’t getting the interest on it.

That is a good point. If you can put it into an investment and get sizable gains it would be worth it to just postpone payment until the taxes are actually calculated and due. Most people don’t have the luxury of being able to gain enough interest to make it worthwhile. If most people postponed payment, they would end up getting to April 15th and realize that they don’t have the funds to pay the taxes that they owe.

enter -> proud to be an american song.

:doh:

Pretty much preparing myself for the usual. Shit refund + 1% tax payment = break even.

Fuji does a good job at estimating my taxes apparently…and F the fact I paid $14k in taxes last year :grr:

yea my refund is basically going towards remodeling my bathroom…

I get my tuition paid this semester from my tax return. WOOHOO!

i still havent got my w-2 forms from a job i had for 5 months last year… when is the last day i should wait before i call them and bitch?

anyone try the h and r block free federal? I was told it was good, better than turbo tax.

I used H & R block last year and Turbo Tax this year and the latter seemed much simpler. We’re getting about $1900 back. I was kind of expecting more credits/deductions since we bought a house last year :dunno:

Did you make sure that you caught everything from your closing expenses? When I did my taxes back in 2006 after buying a house I had my dad look over my return before I sent it out and I had missed a ton of stuff that I paid at closing. I had only included the interest and taxes that I paid after the purchase of the house, but nothing from the money that I took to closing.

No, do I have to itemize to include closing costs? I don’t remember even seeing anything on TurboTax that mentioned closing costs. If it makes any difference, we had the seller pay a good bit of the costs. We still had to pay some though.

You do have to itemize to do it. And it isn’t a separate area of turbo tax. It would be the taxes that you paid at closing (they would be in the detail of the payments from your closing documents).

Do you mean the tax stamps? That was the only tax that I saw in our closing costs. From what I read online, I can’t deduct those.

It would not be part of your “closing costs” but it would have been some of the money that you paid at closing. Like if the previous owner had already paid for real estate taxes on the property for the next 6 months and you had to pay them back for this amount.

Are you a first time home buyer? You can get a $7500 tax credit (actually a 0% 15-year loan for $7,500) from the government: http://irs.gov/newsroom/article/0,,id=187935,00.html