*OFFICIAL* Buffalo Sabres 2007 Off-Season Thread

hey man, what do you expect. times are hard. how do you expect the man to support himself and his family on 25 million :frowning:

Especially in the high standard of living city that is Buffalo

Iā€™ve been staying away from this threadā€¦ :frowning:

i swear he only talks to the media so he looks like such a great guy when we donā€™t resign him and everyone will get all mad at the organization and be all ā€œawwww danny we luv eweā€ when the truth is heā€™s a greedy frog :deadhorse:

i know :picard: its all a smoke screen so he makes himself look like a good guy. :gtfo:

When I heard that he declined 5 years - 25 million I was just like, you douche.

Thatā€™s a boatload of cash to be guaranteed. I hope he goes elsewhere and tanks and becomes a has-been, and has trouble signing deals in the future.

I have always felt that way about him i donā€™t see him ever fitting in anywhere.

so who has their house for sale?

brieres house has been for sale since before the playoffs startedā€¦

brieres a fucking dickweed. seriously, 5 years 5 mill is a nice deal. HEā€™S A GOOD PLAYER BUT NOT A SUPERSTAR. he does not deserve 7-8 million a year. 5.5 - MAYBE. 6 - i donā€™t think so. so basically heā€™s trying to pull in an extra 500k to one mill. a year. if the tweener was smart, heā€™d stay in buff for the 5 years, be able to put ~8 million of that away comfortably, invest, and heā€™s set. he can play out a few more years and heā€™s good to go.

instead heā€™s gonna break up the team b/c heā€™s a typical sports athlete / ā€œstarā€ liar.

i dont think he will be as good on any other team. His numbers are gonna go down for sure.

I think it was a dick move to offer him less than he made last year! Heā€™s gone it was the proverbial slap in the face. Bye Danny, great to have had ya!

While I dont like Briere as much as Drury you guys are bashing him pretty bad for a guy who put up 90+ points for us 2 years in a row and is a big reason why we went to the conference finals 2 years in a row.

Will he be better somewhere else? maybe

Does he deserve the $? yes

Is he an elite player in the NHL? yesā€¦he was the MVP of the all star game in case many of you forgot.

He is respected around the league and other GMs are drooling at the chance to have this guy on their team.

I dont care if he leaves personally as long as Drury stays, Danny boy spent too much time in the penalty box during crunch time in the playoffs and I dont think he stood up and took control of this team as a Captain in the playoffs.

If they free up Brieres $ they can get a bad ass defenseman with good puck skills and that should really solidify the team. But you CANNOT afford to lose both captains so let Briere hit the market and find a way to keep Drury.

drury is gone too, i can almost guarantee that.

5 million < 5 million :gotme: explain that one to meā€¦

i HARDLY see it as a dick moveā€¦briere ASKED for 5 years 5 million last year, he said BEFORE being offered this contract that he would take a DISCOUNT to stay hereā€¦so by offering him what he WANTED last yearā€¦i fail to see that as being bad or as a slap in the face

and i bash on briere b/c this is the same shit he pulled last year. mr. ā€œi want to stay in buffalo so iā€™ll take a (.0000001%) discountā€ comes off looking great to the media, but the fact is heā€™s in it for the cash. last year, he was offered 5 years 4.5 mil/ea, and he rejected it saying he wanted 5 years 5 mil/eaā€¦and he was awarded his 5mil in arbitration so yay for him.

iā€™m not saying he lacks talent nor is he a great playerā€¦heā€™s proven himself to be that. will some other team pony up some more money? probablyā€¦long term deal? who knowsā€¦some team could offer him a 2 year deal to say keep playing well and weā€™ll pay you more, or some team might say long term deal nothing less and lock him up for the next 5

this just pisses me off b/c ive been saying for over a year that briere only puts on a good face for the media to make himself look good and to look like the guy who ā€œgets screwed by the organizationā€ or who gets the ā€œproverbial bitch slapā€ :roll:

plues he dives like a bitchā€¦ but hes good so i usually forgave him

BUFFALO, N.Y. ā€“ Co-captain Daniel Briere has broken off negotiations with the Buffalo Sabres, deciding to test the NHL free agent market when it opens Sunday.

ā€œWeā€™ve made the decision to go to July 1 and sit down and seek all options at that point,ā€ Briereā€™s agent Pat Brisson told the Associated Press on Friday.

The decision, which came a day after Briere traveled to Los Angeles to meet with Brisson, will make the player one of the most sought-after free agents. Heā€™s expected to attract offers above $6 million, coming off a career-high season in which he finished 10th in the NHL with 95 points (32 goals, 63 assists).

But Brisson didnā€™t rule out the possibility of Briere re-signing with Buffalo.

ā€œWe havenā€™t closed the door on Buffalo at all,ā€ he said. ā€œThereā€™s no animosity; thereā€™s a lot of respect there.ā€

The Sabres declined comment.

Buffalo stands to lose both co-captains this offseason, with Chris Drury also eligible to become a free agent Sunday.

Daniel Briereā€™s 95 points last season make him a very sought-after free agent.
The Sabres waited more than a month after their season ended before finally making Briere an offer Wednesday. The offer was reportedly a 5-year, $25 million deal. Considered low, it matched the one-year, $5 million contract the nine-year veteran center received in arbitration last summer. The Sabres offer was similar to the deal Briere sought a year ago.

Brisson declined to comment on the Sabresā€™ proposal and wouldnā€™t say whether the two sides exchanged counteroffers.

ā€œI believe it was an offer made in good faith from the Sabres,ā€ Brisson said.

He also refused to criticize the Sabres for waiting to make an offer.

ā€œEach team has their own philosophy in how they approach each situation, and I guess the Sabres decided to approach it this way,ā€ Brisson said. ā€œWeā€™re not disappointed. Weā€™re indifferent at this point.ā€

Briere emerged as a star shortly after Buffalo acquired him in a deal with Phoenix in March 2003. He has scored 92 goals and 138 assists for 230 points in 225 games with the Sabres, a big improvement after 70 goals and 76 assist for 146 points in 258 games with the Coyotes.

Briere appeared in his first career All-Star Game this season and earned the gameā€™s MVP honors. He also produced in the clutch, scoring 10 game-winners over the past two seasons.

The Los Angeles Kings, Philadelphia Flyers, New York Rangers and Montreal Canadiens are among numerous teams with salary cap space expected to make offers to Briere.

Briere particularly has been linked with the Flyers, where friend and former teammate goalie Martin Biron plays, and the Canadiens. Briere is a French Canadian, who grew up two hours from Montreal.

ā€œThereā€™s no doubt that he has a lot of attachments in Buffalo, a lot of great memories, but that doesnā€™t mean itā€™s over,ā€ Brisson said. ā€œAt this point, instead of negotiating, we have the opportunity to sit down and after July 1 seek our options. And at that point, heā€™ll make a decision.ā€

The Sabres are coming off a season in which the team won a league-leading and franchise-record 53 games and scored a league-leading 308 goals. But Buffalo was eliminated in the Eastern Conference finals for a second consecutive year.

Buffalo also is somewhat handcuffed by the NHL salary cap, which will increase to $50.3 million this season. The Sabres played most of last season at the $44 million cap and had limited room to maneuver in making an offer to Briere.

Besides attempting to re-sign Drury, Buffalo also must make room to re-sign restricted free agents Thomas Vanek, who scored a team-leading 43 goals, and third-line center Derek Roy.
AP NEWS
The Associated Press News Service

Copyright 2006-2007, The Associated Press, All Rights Reserved

WGRZā€™s Adam Benigini is reporting that the Sabres have broke off talks with Chris Druryā€™s agent and that he will test the UFA market as well.

figured, didnt sherm laugh at me cause that couldenā€™t be true? great job darcy if anything they just cost themselves money because a few fans are gonna be upset with not keeping one of their captians

i havnt heard this anywhereā€¦in fact all the reports ive seen or heard are the exact opposite.