*OFFICIAL* Buffalo Sabres 2007 Off-Season Thread

AH yes, Darcy is quite the architect, the final piece of the puzzle in in place.

[quote=“98SS10,post:461,topic:30906"”]

AH yes, Darcy is quite the architect, the final piece of the puzzle in in place.

[/quote]

:eyebrow:

Final piece to remain somewhat competitive this year. Everyone seems to be forgetting that the rest of the league has only gotten better. Im not jumping ship or anything but regier didn’t maintain the team well at all. Overpaying roy and signing paetsch isn’t exactly monumental.

[quote=“Coldaccord,post:457,topic:30906"”]

why not?

btw I think 4 mil is too much for Roy. my prediction earlier was 2.5 at the MOST. I like him, but not that much.

Anyone ever hear that Kanye West song?

“We” (Sabres) “broke. broke broke, phi broke.”

[/quote]

I think they want to build the team around a younger captain…and Numminen doesn’t fit the bill.

As for Roy getting 4 million a season, I feel the same way as I do about Vanek’s contract; overpaid for a season or 2, but well worth it after that. He scored as many points as Drury last year and it was only his 2nd year in the NHL. Plus he is making 3mil/season (Max’s salary) less and he’s only going to get better. He’s definitely going to be a point per game player, and Buffalo has him during his prime.

I don’t have any complaints about the contracts.

With the salaries of ALL players rising the way they are, those long-term signings will look like very good deals down the road in 2 years when we have them for well below the market average per season.

They have locked up a good solid offensive core for the future to work around.

[quote=“IntegLS94,post:460,topic:30906"”]

http://www.wgrz.com/news/news_article.aspx?storyid=49875&GID=BmbiJ/Lf3k6XkfgVzpfyaHBAsZnkvKABEQtiAzYhP0M%3D

seems to be a little too much money for a 7th d-man, but if this is true it will work out well when one of our top 6 go down or next year if teppo retires

[/quote]

I really hope Kalinin receives a T.Connolly-like concussion early in the season, or a team takes him as part of a trade so Paetsch can step in. Even if that doesn’t happen, Paetsch can play as a forward exceptionally well, so he can fill a gap in any position, really.

In 3-5 years Paetsch will be > Campbell.

[quote=“Pass McGrass,post:465,topic:30906"”]

I really hope Kalinin receives a T.Connolly-like concussion early in the season, or a team takes him as part of a trade so Paetsch can step in. Even if that doesn’t happen, Paetsch can play as a forward exceptionally well, so he can fill a gap in any position, really.

In 3-5 years Paetsch will be > Campbell.

[/quote]

I give him less than that. Campbell was better 2 years ago IMO, he is more concerned with skating than shooting now and that scares me.

[quote=“JDMR2,post:458,topic:30906"”]

i never once saw max wearing an “A”

last season drury and briere were the captains with numinnen being the regular “A” and hecht wore an “A” when one of the three was down…

[/quote]

max def wore the “A” at least once last season…

http://www.wgrz.com/video/vplayer.aspx?aid=30078&sid=49524&bw=hi&cat=2

Little interview with Briere. Even tho he left, I still have respect for him. He did not bad mouth the team, city, or even the management and still is keeping his community contacts here. You can tell in the interview he wanted to stay.

[quote=“boxxa,post:468,topic:30906"”]

http://www.wgrz.com/video/vplayer.aspx?aid=30078&sid=49524&bw=hi&cat=2

Little interview with Briere. Even tho he left, I still have respect for him. He did not bad mouth the team, city, or even the management and still is keeping his community contacts here. You can tell in the interview he wanted to stay.

[/quote]

Yeah, I know it’s the Buffalo way to blame players and hate them when they leave, but this guy is a great player, a great person, and he simply got fucked by short sighted Sabres management. He’ll be missed.

came across this on yahoo, made us look pretty good…

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news;_ylt=AsKgwq0HYBR4jfrK8V_VInR7vLYF?slug=bestnhlcitybuffalo&prov=tsn&type=lgns

WGR reports this AM that Peca is likely signing with Columbus.

[quote=“TrueBlue,post:471,topic:30906"”]

WGR reports this AM that Peca is likely signing with Columbus.

[/quote]

Good. I didn’t want him back here.

same here, too risky. I am pissed that theres no away colombus game this year, that was a sweet arena and i woulden’t mind spending more time in that city.

I would’ve liked to have Peca back in a Sabres uni for the right price; he was asking too much though.

And completely unrelated to Peca, but I was browsing through this site yesterday and found it pretty interesting. Ottawa is going to have a lot of RFA/UFA trouble in the 08/09 off-season…especially with GM’s like Lowe around to offer RFA’s ridiculous contracts. Should be interesting.

edit- also Anaheim in 09/10 off-season. Holy shit, they are going to need to re-new contracts soon if they want to stay competitive. 14 UNRESTRICTED free agents.

COLUMBUS, Ohio – Free agent Michael Peca, who missed the last half of the season with a broken leg, has agreed to a one-year contract with the Columbus Blue Jackets.

The deal was first reported by the Columbus Dispatch.

Blue Jackets spokesman Todd Sharrock said Wednesday that Peca must pass a team physical. A formal announcement is expected later this week, Sharrock said.

Peca, 33, a two-time winner of the Frank J. Selke Trophy as the NHL’s best defensive forward, spent last season with Toronto. He scored four goals and had 11 assists in 35 games before breaking his right leg in a collision with Chicago defenseman Jim Vandermeer last December.

Peca, who had been in talks with the New York Rangers, told the Dispatch that the Blue Jackets showed great interest in bringing him aboard.

“We had a deal in place with the Rangers for almost three weeks now,” Peca said, according to the Dispatch. "It just doesn’t seem like the commitment has been there from the general manager [Glen Sather] to get it done. But ever since we started talking with Columbus [Friday], [Blue Jackets general manager Scott Howson] has been very straightforward and very interested in getting something done. And so right now, that’s where our focus is, getting something done with Columbus.

“I moved on [from the Rangers]. And now I’m getting pretty excited to play for coach Ken Hitchcock and the Blue Jackets.”

Messages were left with Blue Jackets general manager Scott Howson, who is on vacation, and Peca’s agent, Don Meehan, The Associated Press said Wednesday.

Peca has 164 goals and 245 assists in 728 career games with Vancouver, Buffalo, the New York Islanders, Edmonton and Toronto, serving as captain of both the Sabres and Islanders.

“I know a few guys in that room and I think we can be a pretty good team,” he said, according to the Dispatch. “I know Adam Foote and Rick Nash. I lived in Jason Chimera’s house when I played in Edmonton. I’m good friends with Todd Marchant, and when I talked to him, he told me it was a great place to play.”