Official Contractor Thread?

Just throwing this idea out here as it seems the Homes section seems to be pretty active lately (or maybe that’s just because I’m a relatively new homeowner), but what are people’s thoughts on creating some sort of general contractor thread where people can post up when looking for recommended work?

I know I’m going to be looking for a new garage door to be installed some time this year and rather than make a new thread to go along with all the other “recommend me someone who does XYZ” I was thinking maybe a general contractor thread would make sense. Anyone for or against this?

Sounds fine with me.

I’ll be able to add a few things:

Our own Andy was awesome before he got sick of it all
Sobo/Clever is awesome
Tony Pavlock general contracting in Niagara county is to be avoided like the plague

Angies List?

NYSpeed’s list. I like this idea.

I liked the idea of a yearly BBQ, but that didnt happen!

lol, listen I did everything within my power to call / email / show up in person to Lancaster and they still didn’t respond. Maybe this year the new management will be more organized.

Or a state park again.

:tup:

Thanks man.

Exactly, I mean with all that I’ve learned about contraception and shitting this past week, surely some of NYSpeed’s finest can enlighten me as to who to go to for home contractor needs. So who’s got garage door installer recommendations to start this thread off right?

I kinda know some garage door people though @King and his family, but indirectly. I think @EvoMR just had them out to do work. Hamburg Overhead Door.

I’m gonna give Hamburg Overhead and Precision Door calls soon for some quotes. Anyone else have some recommendations? @King you have any suggestions?

I used precision door and they were WAY expensive and the work, while good, was nothing special. The guy didn’t do everything that I asked of him. We have used Hamburg Overhead for doors at my office and I have no complaints with them.

I’m using Creative by Design for the buildout on my restaurant. So far, so good! We’re about 65% through, I’ll report back with a final report

Hamburg Overhead Door can EAD and DIAF. Personal and professional experience. We have well over a dozen overhead industrial doors and written a ton of POs to them and they suck… @cougarspeed what’s your $0.02?

I used Hamburg and was very happy with everything. Sales guys name was Kelly, very good dude :tup:

I went with Buffalo Overhead Door and they were great.

I really think they need some operational/organizational help. It took about 15 trips and yes I am being serious 15! for them to replace two springs and install an opener at my house. Every single time I would have to explain to them what was done, needed finished, what door, etc etc etc etc
@Spam16v happened to be at my house on trip number 12 or so when the tech (who we had to help!) said he had the wrong springs and knew nothing about the opener. I called the office and they told me the opener was installed the week prior! haha. So about 3 more trips and I finally am all set.

It was insanity.

@livin4hockey - this is it