Official MythBusters "PLANE on a CONVEYOR" episode PARTY!!! (12/12/07 @ 8pm)

[quote=“Willybeen,post:314,topic:37453"”]

watch the video. yes. dot.

[/quote]

In the Mythbusters experiment, the runway speed is equal to the plane’s takeoff speed.

CLEARLY, they carefully calculated that key factor into that Youtube video. I mean they proved it…wait, no they didn’t.

[quote=“01AudiS4,post:319,topic:37453"”]

But the plane is moving forword, how did you miss that.

[/quote]

if the plane is moving forward then the conveyor belt is not matching the speed of the plane.

[quote=“HotRodKid,post:320,topic:37453"”]

doesnt matter, just run the treadmill faster then the plane can move, do it from the very start, point proven

plane leaves runway @ 5mph
run treadmill at 10mph
taxi plane forward and lift off

[/quote]

amen… watch the video… that plane was not moving forward at all… anthony ur physics are worthless here… the plane will move forward… wind will move over the wings, lift will be generated…

/discussion

im done here

Everyone seems to be forgetting that the Mythbuster’s experiment involves the treadmill equaling the plane’s takeoff speed.

[quote=“943kgt,post:317,topic:37453"”]

momentum = mass X velocity

Velocity = distance/time

get it straight willybeen the plane isnt moving so the distance traveled is 0. 0/ any number is 0 and mass x 0 is 0. so it actually doenst have momentum.

and besides its not forward momentum that lifts a plane, its wind.

[/quote]

we know its not forward momentum but it will gain forward momentum over an infinite amount of time and which given X amount of time and Y amount of distance it will eventually take off cause it will have gained that forward momentum which creates wind which gets the plane lift

hell the treadmill can be going faster than the plane… the wheels will just spin faster… its WHEELSPIN not SOG of plane… the plane will still gain speed

Velocity = distance/time

get it straight willybeen the plane isnt moving so the distance traveled is 0. 0/ any number is 0 and mass x 0 is 0. so it actually doenst have momentum.

[/quote]

Yeah, wind. :bloated:

[quote=“Willybeen,post:323,topic:37453"”]

amen… watch the video… that plane was not moving forward at all… anthony ur physics are worthless here… the plane will move forward… wind will move over the wings, lift will be generated…

/discussion

im done here

[/quote]

watch the vid, r u retarded, can u see the wheels touching the treadmill? because i certainly cant, that piece of string for all i know is holding up that piece of paper you call a plane

[quote=“Tunerfreak,post:325,topic:37453"”]

we know its not forward momentum but it will gain forward momentum over an infinite amount of time

[/quote]

It doesn’t get an infinite amount of time. It gets 1/4 mile.

So regardless of what would happen on your imaginary 1,000 mile long runway, on the 1/4 Mythbusters runway, it won’t take off.

[quote=“943kgt,post:328,topic:37453"”]

watch the vid, r u retarded, can u see the wheels touching the treadmill? because i certainly cant, that piece of string for all i know is holding up that piece of paper you call a plane

[/quote]

Needs more wind.

[quote=“943kgt,post:322,topic:37453"”]

if the plane is moving forward then the conveyor belt is not matching the speed of the plane.

[/quote]

yes it is. the wheels dont move the plane.

take the wheels off and lay the plane down on its belly on a frictionless surface and it will take off. its the same as with the wheels on

HAHAHAHAH

Back to square 1.

JAN. 30th…maybe another meet?

Velocity = distance/time

[/quote]

lol

and why exactly isn’t the plane moving?

yeah, that’s right. this again.

edit- think of it this way (onyx and i were talking about this earlier): the acceleration the wheels create is canceled out by the conveyor belt. so, say the wheels are a +1 and the conveyor belt is a -1. that leaves you with 0. the plane isn’t going anywhere.

now turn on the jet engines…

OMG

NO WAI

ok omg kidding i really dont care at all lol

[quote=“brent_strong,post:327,topic:37453"”]

Yeah, wind. :bloated:

[/quote]

let me rephrase, lift (lifting force) - the mechanical force generated by solid objects moving through a fluid (ie: wings and air). if a plane only needs “infinite forward momentum” (ha that just sounds funny) y does it have wings?

[quote=“Pass McGrass,post:333,topic:37453"”]

lol

and why exactly isn’t the plane moving?

[/quote]

Read how they are structuring the experiment.

[quote=“SI01,post:329,topic:37453"”]

It doesn’t get an infinite amount of time. It gets 1/4 mile.

So regardless of what would happen on your imaginary 1,000 mile long runway, on the 1/4 Mythbusters runway, it won’t take off.

[/quote]

bah should have rethought that lol… but regardless it will still take off since the jets move the plane not the wheels

[quote=“Tunerfreak,post:337,topic:37453"”]

bah should have rethought that lol… but regardless it will still take off since the jets move the plane not the wheels

[/quote]

Dude…we aren’t talking about jump jets here.

The wheels are a key part of the takeoff process.

[quote=“943kgt,post:335,topic:37453"”]

let me rephrase, lift (lifting force) - the mechanical force generated by solid objects moving through a fluid (ie: wings and air). if a plane only needs “infinite forward momentum” (ha that just sounds funny) y does it have wings?

[/quote]

beck?

cuban?

surely you can’t be real…

[quote=“943kgt,post:322,topic:37453"”]

[/quote]

fucking wow