**Official Sushi thread**

Isn’t there a new spot that just opened up on Hertel where Pangea used to be?

word, a weekend out that way would be nice.

You see the pics from when me and greg tore up sakura? we must have had 12 rolls…

All sushi is frozen. I have eaten sushi everywhere in this city, and for $16, this place simply can’t be beat. They go a little heavy on the rice, but I just poke it off. Hibachi is included in the buffet too. And it is all made to order.

Ate 32 rolls once with a friend :fat:

“Food and Drug Administration regulations stipulate that fish to be eaten raw – whether as sushi, sashimi, seviche, or tartare – must be frozen first, to kill parasites. ‘‘I would desperately hope that all the sushi we eat is frozen,’’ said George Hoskin, a director of the agency’s Office of Seafood. Tuna, a deep-sea fish with exceptionally clean flesh, is the only exception to the rule.”

Agree on California Rollin.

Disagree on Fujiya being the best in Monroe Co.

That goes to Shiki on Clinton near Goodman. Best in town.

I have eaten a few times at Wasabi - Hopkins, during lunch times their specials for two rolls is pretty good price. Food and service has always been good when I went, never really had to wait either.

Someone mentioned Wegman’s sushi as well, it has always seemed decent to me and fresh (at least the one by Sheridan/Evan’s).

Man, i just really dont get how people have such a good opinion of wasabi. I’ve given it so many chances and it just fails each time.

Going to Fuji on Saturday. Will post up review. This shit better be good.

I love it [Wasabi], we go almost weekly at work…never had a problem getting a table, service or good sushi. I call recall once that the tuna in one of my rolls wasn’t spectacular but nothing to complain about really.

Went to Wasabi on Hopkins for lunch today. I’ve been there ~5 times or so. Each time the food has been ok-good, but the service has been piss poor. The wait today from sitting down to eating was ~40-45 minutes, for 3 rolls.

What time was your lunch time?

The times that I have gone there, it was with a group of people and we arrived between 12:25 and 12:35, never had to wait to sit.

Our whole lunch break from leaving work to coming back to work was about 45 minutes total and its a 5-10minute drive depending on lights/traffic that day.

Without a larger base of responses there is no way to know if what you experienced is the norm there or not. But, since we were talking about the places that I have been to, I was throwing in my two cents for others to read as well. (which is what I thought this thread was for)

we went at ~noon. didnt wait to sit, but it took forever for them to ask for our drinks, then bring our drinks, then longer to take our order, then like 25 mins to make our rolls.

I’ve been there during peak times and off peak. doesnt ever seem to matter, its always the same.

I went to Wasabi on Elmwood the other day and it was horrible. Food sucked, service blew hard. It just felt like we were a burden being there. I don’t think I will be going to that one for a while.

The fact is that sushi here in Buffalo is sub-par period. If you think Buffalo’s offerings are great then I’m sorry you haven’t had good suhsi yet. Toronto is the closest thing for some really good sushi and if anyone is ever interested in making a trip for some let me know I know some good places.

With that said, my favorite is still Kuni thus far. Closest thing to traditional sushi. Quality is good, service is good, the wait sucks but that’s what you get for being the best. And for those that have not had the Gintara, it’s the only place in town that offers it. This is a traditional japanese dish that is probably my favorite thing to get when I go for sushi. It’s cooked fish BTW.

Don, i have a weekend trip to t-dot coming up. Suggestions on where to [strikeout]eat[/strikeout] stuff my face with deliciousness?

edit: how do we not have a strikeout feature?

No one has mentioned the new Sake Cafe in the Lowes plaza off transit/maple?

Sake Cafe has the best tempura I’ve ever had and a sushi bar, a full drink bar and a big pretty dining room. The sushi I’ve had was really good (spicy shrimp roll, sesame tuna roll).

youre def welcome any time, got a couch and a reasonably nice place!

post pics

word. im planning on going there very soon after the holidays.

Create a BBcode for it.

rehosting…

for sushi I’d suggest looking something up online I always just get randomly hungry and just stop at the first nice looking spot and always fare well. so i don’t know anything that’s worth mentioning :frowning: there are a bunch of all you can eat ones. i bet you can find a good value with 8/10 sushi for 20 bucks all you can eat. that’s what we do in CT. it’s SO FUCKING GOOD

straight up though on another tip, Korean BBQ on Queen. report back. better yet ask Greg about our visit there. We couldn’t even walk when we were done. SO GOOD

edit: goddamn on that pic

Koganei in woodbridge is awesome.

http://www.koganeisushi.com/

ugh i want to go

Wegmans is pretty hit and miss. The one on Alberta or Sheridan is usually good, but the one in West Seneca is usually not as good.

I had some pretty nasty food poisoning the last time I had sushi from the West Seneca location.