Good sushi places?

Since I know shit about places in Pitt where do you guys think has the best sushi? Price and location arent really a concern just want some bomb sushi.

I like Umi in Shadyside, but $$$, so I only do that when it’s on the company bill.
Is it Sushi Two? I think that’s the name of it. But it’s on Washington Road right in “dahntahn” Mt. Lebo. Like their stuff as well.
Since I travel a lot for work, I haven’t really found Pittsburgh Sushi that matches up with other big city stuff out there.

try Penn Ave Fish Company http://www.pennavefishcompany.com/

or

tai pei near the waterworks mall http://www.taipei-fc.com/

Also, theres a little hole in the wall place called “sushi boat” in oakland, right near the old childrens hospital, its cheap and phenomenal, I love that place

Nakama in Southside
Yokoso in the Waterfront
Sho-Gun in Monroeville

Theres 2 places on Oakland Ave @ Forbes Ave in downtown Oakland… cant remember the names, but Ive had both and they are both good…

And I heard theres an all you can eat sushi and seafood place near Homestead somethere… But I cant remember the name and I havent been there yet.

we used to go to sushi 2 on the southside but it changed to little tokyo bistro and i dont think its as good… for cheap lunch stuff the all you can eat place on mcknight rd next to best buy is good, dont expect the best thing you ever ate but its good for the money… the all you can eat place next to homestead sushi is crappy but for a cheap all you can eat habatchi its good, its at the top of the hill next to wendys, you could load a plate with 1000 shimp if you want and they will cook it for you

We ate at Nakama last time I was in town and loved it. Awesome atmosphere and service, and the food was pretty good. Nothing really compares though since I spent almost a month in Japan this past May and June.

Used to be frequent flier at Nakama. Used to be way better. I wouldn’t go there for free now. They got full of themselves once they became the “hot spot” and their sushi can be hit or miss now depending on how busy they are at the time and who is making the sushi.
The joint by rock Bottom and the Improv in Waterfront put my buddy in the hospital with some serious violent stomach illness. The rest of us who ate there that night just shit for a few days straight. Never again. You gotta wonder about a sushi place that never seems to have many people in it. How fast could they be turning fresh product over?

Make sure to follow the rule to never eat Sushi Sundays or Mondays unless you are in a real city. You’re eating all last week’s crusty shit then. Or not to eat at “all you can eat” sushi. Unless that’s why you’re there…

We did the Hibachi dining at Nakama. Their sushi bar seemed packed.

Ichiban in Robinson has great food all around.

Umi is awesome sushi, but as mentioned, expensive.

I just went to Sushi Kim a couple days ago on Penn Avenue in the Strip and it was not as good as the last time.

And the Caterpillar roll at Nakama is awesome.

All in all I’d have to say Umi has had the best sushi so far, everything is so fresh.

Shanghai Tokyo but it’s not in Pitts.

If you’re ever in the area, try Benichopsticks on US 19 in Peters Township. I was there Friday evening and goddamn is their tuna and salmon fresh and good…the strip of fish on the nigiris were 4" long, I shit you not. Their shrimp tempura roll is awesome too. Great prices as well.

buy me some sushi when you get heRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

When did your buddy get sick from Yokoso? One of my friends was in the hospital with some type of food poisoning in like June or July, shortly after she ate there… I wonder if they had some bad shit?

The other place in oakland is Oishii bento, for the money it is absolutely fantastic. http://www.oishiibento.com/sushi.html

Best Place hands down is KiKu in Station Square. Every first and third tuesday is all you can eat for $30.

If you want good sushi to go, get it at Shushi Andy’s in Wholey’s in the strip. He has a stand as soon as you walk in the doors. We get that all the time at work.

There is another place right across the bloomfield bridge by the Sure save or Save a lot, that has all you can eat any time $30 bucks and is good as well. That owner (from what I understand from talking to them) she owns most of the Giant Eagle based stands.

Good but gets expensive would be Yokoso in the waterfront, and Nakama in the southside.

Kiku is deffinatly where it is at though. I have been preparing Sushi at home for 10 years now and when I want the real deal presentation and stuff I can’t make at home that is where I go. Last time we went there was 15 of us.

U. of Pitt? im sure you can find some raw fish there, im sure you could find it even closer if you wag a bone in front of some

Sushi Tomo in the North Hills is excellent. The Alaskan King Crab roll is my favorite! Sushi 2/3 is great, oh mi god t is delicious. Nakama is over rated in my book, decent food but not for the money. Fuji on Steubenville Pike in Robinson is my pick for a hidden gem. Great sushi, even better prices and it is BYOB!

I think most sushi places are BYOA.

If anyone gets a chance stop in a Nobu in NYC.

It’s just my opinion, but “all you can eat” and “good sushi” are never in direct proportion to each other.
And neither Nakama or Yokoso are expensive. Umi is expensive. Yokoso is a wanna-be. Nakama is moderately-priced but has gown downhill a lot since they opened, however still way better than Yokoso.

Matt94z, it was August. That place got two tries. First, the sushi sucked. Then in August when everyone got sick, that was all she wrote.

In reality, if they have hibachi at the place, the sushi isn’t gonna be as good as a place that serves sushi as it’s main item.

Have you been to Kiku? If you haven’t, try it.