Official: "The apocalypse is near" thread.

So every now and then I catch a bit of news that makes me think that I should really go finance a house and car I can’t afford, because I won’t be around long enough to pay it off anyways.

Between global warming and tension between the US and Venezuela, US and Iran, US and North Korea, US and Russia, and US and faceless terrorists, it sometimes seems like it’s only a matter of time before we nuke ourselves back into the stone age.

Here’s one such beauty:
http://www.usatoday.com/news/washington/2007-09-27-missile-defense_N.htm?csp=34
Basically, the US is planting missiles in Eastern Europe to guard against Iran, and Russia is saying :uhh: no? Not in my back yard. I thought we got over US-Russia tension in the 80’s?

I figure I’ll compile evidence that the world will be a lump of coal within the next 20 years to help the MikeRi’s of the forum justify their latest desire. :tup:

…Just kidding Mike, you seem to have things figured out. :slight_smile:

Argentina?

werent you the one who made the thread that said this

http://nyspeed.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34083&highlight=shining+examples+society

im just giving ya shit. i hear what youre saying…

Haha I gave in. And meant Venezuela.

Honestly, I’d put rogue comet above all of those in terms of likelihood of causing a major disruption to the lives of WNYers.

And I’m not that scared of rogue comets either. At least not while Bruce Willis is still alive.

We’re not going to get back into it with the Russians any time soon. They’re still working on rebuilding their economy from losing the last cold war; they sure as hell don’t want to start another one. They’ll do little things to get media attention, more for political purposes in their own country than anything else. Things like flying old bombers around, and blasting off huge conventional bombs.

Well, that loser leading Iran says he is all for terrorism but his nuke research is just for energy for Iran. Worst part is people believe him!
Wether its that or muslim ma’sks (<spelling) being put up all over the U.S. and the kids of the U.S. being brain washed as they enter them on school field trips, I believe the end will be in our generation.
I heard on the news some Gov./(something like that) of a state in the US was elected and insted of putting his hand on the bible and saying the oath…he put it on the koran. Then afterwards in celebration him and his “followers” were chanting Ali ak’bar etc etc.

This country/world is falling apart.

F’nukes and guns…lets go back to hand to hand combat

Come on dude. Don’t lose sight of the fundamentals that make this country great. Just because groups like Al Qaeda have bastardized the image of the Muslim religion in this country doesn’t mean that Muslims should be exempt from the constitution.

well… according to some, 2012 is the end of the line :stuck_out_tongue:

The fundamentals of the Muslim religion are much like that of Christianity and other major religions. They teach you to be a good person and be kind to others. Its the radicals that make it out to be all hardcore and killing. Unfortunately there are so fucking many of them its not even funny.

russia doesn’t have enough able bodied citizens to fill out a proper ground force. Nor are they that economically viable. ALthough, Vlad is an old school hardliner at heart, nothing will come of it in the near future.

The biggest threat to this country are the white collar kids who will eventually be in positions of importance, but can’t carry a conversation unless its via AIM or texting.

Even then, WNY isn’t at the forefront of any national trends, political, socially, or the like. You’ll be fine here. Its like the town that time forgot.

I thought you were a redneck? What are you doing preaching tolerance? :stuck_out_tongue:

Russias economy has regained strength based on its sale of energy to it’s neighbors (read price hiking that shit to the moon) which puts it in a larger sphere of influence based on all of the smaller eastern european nations that depend on Russian energy exports. Putin did an amazing job of taking a down and out country and bringing it back to power. Russia has alot more power now than it did at the end of the cold war and still swings a veto on the UN security council which will always keep it as a powerful nation.

Russia has put down the EU and UNs attempt at making Kosovo and independant nation, it will stop a missle defense shield that is to be built in poland and other EE countries.

Russia is losing population because people just aren’t having kids as much. That and alot of emmigration.

The issue of missles in EE has been on going for the last year now. It is just making the news here more and more I would assume because it is getting more tense and it’s a quiet day in the middle east. I read news from all over EE on a daily basis and russia has been complaining about this for a while and was one of the bargaining chips used in striking down independance for Kosovo and siding with Serbia a classic orthodox ally. Condeleeza Rice met with russian ambassodor about 6 months ago about this and Kosovo in brussels at NATO.

Iran is not a threat to the Continental US and wouldn’t be before we become proactive and attack them. Barring any terrorist shit here.

I would worry about tensions with Russia as it looks like the next president most likely to take control is a very very hard liner ex kremlin communist type. Either way general russian views towards the US currently speak of disappointment and frustrations at our actions abroad. They (general public) view us as over stepping our bounds and being greedy.

I would be worried more about China, North Korea and Venezula than Russia. Russia at least plays by the rules…most of the time.

I would worry about living in WNY if you are worried about nuclear annihilation. Like in the lte 80s and 90s there was a reason NF air force base had fighters stationed here. We are a very strategic target as Niagara Falls powers half the eastern sea board.

Russia economy has grown by leaps & bounds. It will continue to do so. This is def garnering more influence in their neighborhood.
However, on the national scale or “superpowers”, they are still behind. Cashflow is large, but the infrastructure is still severly lacking (tho in process). It will be 10 yrs before they are able to throw around as much global economic “influence” as the US, China, & the EU.

Agreed on the populous.
Agreed on the middle east.
But with regards to the next Russian president… well, sadly, alot of that has to do with the next US president… as far as Russia political role in the global arena. Obviously the next US prez will have little outcome on the Russian elections… but the interactions of the two are key.

China scares me most. Politically & economically.
Venezuela & PRK are rogue threats… which deserve a little fear / respect based on the rogue aspect.

And, while the Niagara power project is a very real concern in the event of nation-state warfare… I don’t think it’d be a primary target for terrorism.
Yes - it’d obv. be a big blow, but terrorism (in the facet which we face now) is more geared toward attacking the american lifestyle (capitalist pigs et al)… I’d think the Galleria Mall would be a more likely target. Unfortunatly.

All my $0.02 tho.

And… Don, you wanna do some front end work on the wife’s Alero? Or still busy with fun stuff?

agreed

doh… now how am i gonna waste the next 20 minutes?

try working…lazy american :stuck_out_tongue:

:2fingers:

we passed a bill yesterday (wednesday) to allow bush to attack Iran.

:uhh:

heh… good ole Joe Liberman huh?

http://messages.finance.yahoo.com/Stocks_(A_to_Z)/Stocks_B/threadview?m=tm&bn=51268&tid=60330&mid=60330&tof=10&frt=2#2001886227373173449

http://thehill.com/leading-the-news/lieberman-escalates-attack-on-iraq-critics-2007-07-31.html