Oil... how does it work? [split]

Thinner than 90 weight gear oil at 20F.
Drain your Subaru and fill it with 80w90, wait until its -20
F and start it.

Engines are built to certain tolerances that require certain weight oils to properly lubricate engine components in tight little spaces. Some Hondas take 0w20, my S2000 requires 10w30. It all depends what the little Japanese engineer decided would work the best.

If your car sits for a day and you start it, the oil has to circulate through the oil pump and reach those areas. If the oil is too thick upon start up then it wont flow properly possibly creating unnecessary wear on those engine components. Thus, you would want a thinner oil when starting to quickly protect those areas and once the engine has reached operating temperature you would want a slightly thicker oil for better protection against heat and I imagine as engine tolerances increase in size.

Vlad, as TT said, the viscosity measurement for the first and second number are completely different. Meaning that what makes sense for the first number, will not make the same sense for the second number.

5 weight in the first number measurement is not the same as 5 weight in the second number measurement.

I hope that makes sense, it makes sense in my head

Regardless, your fighting with the wrong people, everything everyone has told you is the facts, you should be bitching at the guy who thought of the system not the people who understand it :lol

I use canola oil in my Subaru.

And that’s where you are wrong.

That viscosity measurement is one and the same.

If a fluid measures 5 at x temp, it will always be more fluid then anything that measure 10 at x temp. Same speed of flow for two different fluids got the same rating number regardless of what temperature they were at. Temp was simply noted for reference.

Look at the chart posted earlier and you will see 20w at 32 has the same cst as 20 SAE at 210.

Which means 20w = 20. Stop making up your own rules. They are directly comparable.

Show me where it says that viscosities are not comparable unless they are at the same temperature.

In case you missed it.

Want more proof?

Directly above and below each other directly linear relative to cSt viscosity.

But I thought they are incomparable?

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q26/vovchandr/4a7d3d68.jpg

So can we all agree that the W SAE numbers are directly comparable to non W SAE numbers?

I know, call Mobil.
Ask them.

Done it over a year ago and emailed all the major companies.

Give you a canned response saying their oil changes viscosity due to temperature and they use additive packages etc.

Also Castrol said they are not allowed to talk about the lawsuit when Mobil 1 took them to court over marketing their dino oil as synthetic.

Your proof is in your pic!

Look at the left side and it’ll show you the viscosity of the weight oil at the two different temps. Win.

Are you trolling or serious?

SAE’s are relative to each other and are graded linear, top to bottom.

Each SAE is relative to appropriate cSt at it’s temp.

We aren’t arguing cSt’s and their relativity, we are talking SAE.

If you’re trying to start another debate go ahead I’m not taking part in it.

Those pictures prove those who say “SAE “W” isn’t comparable to non W” wrong. This includes you.

The viscosity of a fluid is highly temperature dependent and for either dynamic or kinematic viscosity to be meaningful, the reference temperature must be quoted.

I put 5w20 in my truck and those are the only numbers I give a fuck about when it comes to oil

Nobody is arguing that? :dunno

Cold honey VS warm honey will clearly be different so you record their temps at the time of viscosity measurement.

What the bafoons are saying is that cold honey value is incomparable to warm :banghead

Edit: so do we all finally agree that cold viscosity numbers are directly comparable to same fluid warm viscosity numbers or you still going to play ignorant?

If not look at the charts again.

You can’t compare them to each other when on the same bottle (which you’re trying to do), but you can compare the non W number and the W number on the same bottle to the SAE scale-

Again, for the 10000th time, 5w30 oil flows like a SAE 5 at low temps (hence the w), and like a SAE 30 at high temps (hence leaving off of the w).

If you cannot grasp this concept soon, I’m going to start to question your ability to run this forum. This is honestly one of the silliest arguments that I’ve seen in the history of the Internet.

You’re correct if talking about a straight weight oil, and incorrect if talking about a multigrade.

Where the hell are you getting this information from??

So you can compare a 5 to 30 viscosity

But you can’t compare an oil that flows like a 5 VS the one that flows like a 30?

Is that what you are seriously trying to tell me? Are you nuts?

It’s the same thing.

A 5 gets a rating because it flows like a 5 AKA X speed and you record the temp.

You measure another oil and you get that it flows like a 30, record the temp.

You take a multigrade and freeze it, flows at same rate as a 5.

You warm it, flows like a 30.

But you’re saying I cant compare the speed of it cold VS the speed of it warm?

:gtfo

Repped.

Only multigrade come with a W number.

Go read the chart above where the cSt for 20W is the same as cSt for 20 at 210.

If a fluid flows at X when cold, and another fluid flows at X when warm they are the same X-speed-viscosity.

Obviously one fluid will not flow at the same rate at two different temperatures so it gets two ratings.

The only reason some bottles only have one number is because they were only tested at 210.

I’m not “going and reading anything”. Do you honestly think you’re correct that the SAE,ILSAC, and all of the major oil manufactures have unknowingly incorrectly labeled oil since the creation of multigrade oil?!?

You’re wrong and you’re being a troll on your own forum. Why not try to save some face, admit that you’re wrong, and move on?

Lock 1 ban 1

Petard was a troll and is now banned. Jussayin.