How Reliable is your SR?

Okay, this thread is just for sr drivers, im looking to get some information on most frequent, or most occuring problems any of you guys have encountered with your sr’s, i have a black top s14 and i was wondering how many guys have maybe experianced a shaking chassis under idol, also any other things you guys can think of that will help me more understand the workings of my motor. If you can think of something i could do to prevent a problem that may occur in future, post what is nessary or what precautions should be taking. ex: im investing in a koyo in about a week because ive already had a close call with an over heat just casually driving. Are sr’s as reliable as they could/should be? All im looking for with my sr is a relaible daily driver that wont be a hastle. Currently im running a front mount kit with hks intake and stock maf, stock rad “soon to be koyo” and 3’ megan exhaust from the test pipe. So if you can think of something i can do to keep my sr good and running steady, or even tunning tips even tho it is a stock motor, if there are things i can do to just make it run smoother, thanks

SRs are pretty reliable.

Things most people complain about is stalling under neutral drop, running
too rich, and overheating in summer.

Nothing a little TLC and a little elbow grease couldn’t fix.

If you do it right then they are reliable, most people cut a lot of corners when they do there install and upgrades. But for the record as soon as you start uping the boost you can expect reliabilty to decrease

Boost up reliability down. Just like with any motor the more power you want the less life out of it you will get. If you keep proper A/F ratios, under 10 psi, proper catch can, proper turbo timing, proper warm up, good maintenance, you should have no problems with it. Expect the motor to treat you the same way you treat it.

The motor is awesome u should have fun with it, a lot of people do recommend upgrading cooling as u have stated u are. I had this motor in my 240sx awesome motor no problems what so ever but I have now sold the motor to Sasha as most know. It was time for an upgrade after only having the motor for about 5-6 months lol but that’s not important, the motor is awesome just leave it at stock boost and u shouldn’t have a problem at all and also maintain it and its gold

:: If u plan to up the boost u should look into some stuff depending on PSI but if u plan to drive it daily then if u up the psi look into something like a HG/head studs and stuff not that its really needed at like 12/14psi but its always good

very reliable, 3 yrs no problems explains everything

well dont forget… you shouldnt have any issues with the sr cause it is a factory engine. if you up the boost, get an air fuel correction unit because if you dont you run the risk of blowing something. ive been running 11psi in my sr for 3 years now and i havent had 1 problem with it. as long as your do your usual maintenance then it should be fine.

only problems I have had are;

replace waterpump, turbo inlet gasket…

The rest were wiring/chassis issues…

Mine has been fine

I’m a newbie, only ever did brakes and oil changes on a car.
Did my own SR swap in my drive-way working a few hours every weekend and maybe during the week. Took me 3 months to get it on the road. I have the following, 3" exhaust from turbo back, HKS SSQV bov, koyo rad, Ford Taurus electric fan with flexi-lite adjustable thermostat, front mount intercooler, and the rest is stock. Been driving it since July, put 15000KMs on it already and have had 0 issues, no stalling, no sputtering, was stuck in traffic on those really hot summer days we’ve had and had no overheating issues. The car does runs a little rich but thats normal, but it never burnt oil or collant, and never had the atomspheric BOV issues some have had. Car runs strong at 8.5PSI and dyno’d 193WHP and 186WTQ.
I say a good motor and taking your time equals a reliable SR (surprise surprise)

For me, i’d say my SR is reliable
As long as you do you regular oil changes, have a decent electic/mechanical fan and rad you shouldn’t have any issues with your SR.

Everything you guys have said is good for me i appreciate the help, i plan to keep it regularly maintained and always topped up. and if i do come accros any problems that are easily fixable i will attempt it my self at first once i know what the problem is, and if i am unsuccessfull thannnnn, i’ll just call one of you :smiley: ha but thanks for the info anyways im only running around 7.5 to 8 pounds an i guess thats stock. i dont really see a need for me to go any higher. thanks for the info dudes

chad just make sure your wiring is good, check your oil regularly (SR’s are one of the most oil dependant engines), and make sure you have proper cooling.

thanks dan, ive been told 10w 30 is best, is that what you use or is there a blend that is better for the sr, how soon is too soon to do the first oil change on a new sr, 5k ? or should i do one within the first month and then keep them regualr, because there is still built up carbon in the engine right?

I use 10w 30.

As for when you should change your oil, your asking the wrong guy.

I have no set schedule, I am running higher boost, so ive got to check my oil everytime i put in gas. I change oil more frequently.

10w 30 is good for the summer u show go with diff grade for the winter if ur planing to drive it in the winter…

also your oil changes should be done about every 2500-3000km i did mine every 3000km when i had it.

i will plan to do them every 3000km then and use 10w 30, i wont be plowing snow but i will have it out on sunny days in the winter for sure is this still okay ? or switch to a higher grade?

always synthetic Mobile 1 15w-50 performance driving formula change every 4500-5000km

i think they discontinued the mobile 1 15w50 and repalced it with 5w50

correct me if i’m wrong

Just at CT and PS. They still make 15W50 but its harder to find

One thing to consider with a “Performance/Racing Oil” is they will have less detergents then Normal/Street Oil which will have much more detergents in it which then gives more room in the Oil for lubricity.

And 5000kms on a Racing Oil with low detergent levels is almost 3500km to much.

Which is why I think Mobil 1 stopped making the “Racing Performance 15W30” and started making the “Extened Performance 15W30”

One thing to consider with a “Performance/Racing Oil” is they will have less detergents then Normal/Street Oil which will have much more detergents in it which then gives more room in the Oil for lubricity.

And 5000kms on a Racing Oil with low detergent levels is almost 3500km to much.

Which is why I think Mobil 1 stopped making the “Racing Performance 15W30” and started making the “Extened Performance 15W30”[/quote]

Rofl i love son advice/facts.