What oil do you use?

Since we all know what oil filter everyone uses now, what oil do you use? What brand and weight, and why?

amsoil full synthetic 5w-30 engine oil
amsoil full synthetic synchromesh 5w-30 tranny fluid

love them both tranny shifted so much nicer and this was changed at about 5k miles on the car

the valve train on my engine makes less noise now and i HONESTLY get better gas mileage also

i still change the oil every 5k not like amsoil rec at once a year or 15k miles

Mobil 1 Extended Performance 10w-30 changed every 3500 miles

Valvoline 5w30 and 5w20 DinoJuice. I just like it, no particular reason for using it except that it seems to work pretty good.

An old nuclear engineer (a real one) I know out near Philly ran Amsoil in his Stealth Twin Turbo and actually sent his used oil to 2 different labs for analysis after 3 different oil changes (5k, 10k, and one 15k). He was using Amsoil oil filters as well. The results showed that he was basically pissing money away changing it earlier than 15k and last I knew he was going to try 25k mile oil. The drop off in protection between 5k and 15k was, according to him, almost non-existent with Amsoil full synthetic.

I’m not at all criticizing you for changing it at 5k, but as much as Amsoil products cost, you might think about sending the oil to a lab (I think he said it actually cost him about the same as a single oil + filter change) to see where you’re at. The results might save you a good bit of money in the long run.

Mobil 1 10-30
Pennzoil Synchromesh in the tranny
Royal Purple in the rear end

Syntec 10-30
Pennzoil Synchromesh in tranny

mobil 1 full synthetic oils
5w-30 in the engine, 75-90w gear oil in the tranny and rear end

:slight_smile:

:stupid:

M1 Full synthetic in engine 10x30
Royal Purple in gear box and rear

Engine has been sythetic since new- documented
RP because the tranny was overhauled 8k ago.

Penzoil 5w30 in the motor (changed every 1000-1500 miles)
Honda MTF in the trans (changed every 6 months)

Why? because thats what i’ve always used and haven’t had a problem yet.

Royal Purple synthetic 10W30 in engine

and Dexron III (conventional) in trans

Royal Purple synthetic ATF in transfer case

Royal Purple 80W gear oil in both differentials

Royal Purple Synthetic in the Jeep NV3550 Tranny
Redline MTL in the DSM tranny

I usually buy whatever brand name 10w30 dino is on sale to use in the engines. I change it somewhere between 3k and 7k. My interval depends on a few things, weather and my schedule being the 2 biggest items.

(cold floor and/or wet car FTL)

pennzoil 10-40

Rotella T

I used to send the oil out here for the race car:

http://www.blackstone-labs.com/

Then once I got a good feel for proper intervals, I stopped. The analyses will pay for themselves over time.

Street cars - Mobil 1 whatever - W - whatever, depending on time of year. I still don’t like it very much because I tend to get a varnish on the dipstick (and lord knows where else) when I use it. Once in a while, I’ll put in a fill of Red Line to clean things out.

Race car - Red Line 20w50 or 20w60 depending on what Foreign Auto has on the shelf that day.

Rotella T

i honestly pay the same for it as i get pennzoil platinum synthetic and its more just a piece of mind thing

Valvoline or Mobil 1 full syn. 5w-30