Oil Analysis (not KY)

Who here has gotten one done?
What were the results?
What brand and weight of oil?

Well, no personal experience, but here’s a neat little tidbit of information for oil monitoring/analysis systems:

http://www.practicingoilanalysis.com/article_detail.asp?articleid=562

Wow thats useful, Now to change my oil! ;D

Used Blackstone lab 6 or 7 times for all different oils. Results were decent for some, awesome for others. Helped me choose which oil to use long term.

and which oil ended up being the winner?

Amsoil and Motul were the winner. Mobil1 was the loser by a huge margin. Varies for every motor.

fo realz?

of course it’s the two oils that put the cost of an oil change up to $80 :idiots

ya, I’ve heard all this stuff about mobil 1 sucking, but never really looked into it. crap. What about Eneos?

What about Royal Purple???

One of the things alot of people tend to forget about is the importance of mechanical tolerances/ interferences when choosing a specific viscosity oil. Always nice to have at least a rough idea of what you’re working with…

http://www.hydraulicspneumatics.com/200/FPE/FluidCleanlines/Article/True/6432/FluidCleanlines

To ‘thin’ of an oil won’t fill in the gaps, too ‘thick’ an the oil won’t make it into the necessary spaces… then figure in temperature ranges, lots of stuff to take into account when you’re looking for specifics… :ponder

Hmm i’m changing my oil this weekend(weather permitting)…any suggestions for a good synthetic brand?

Royal purple ftmfw!

royal purple breaks down way too quick

I was using Royal Purple for a couple oil changes, but then switched to Castrol Syntec which I’m very happy with.

It totally depends on the motor. Royal Purple came in 3rd of the oils I tested, Castrol Syntec was 4th or 5th, I forget. It’s the most commercially available synthetic that comes in my weight and I use it for break ins or emergencies when I cant get Motul or Amsoil in time.

All of my test were on 90% track mile oil. Meaning I beat the hell out of it for 500-1200 miles and then tested it.

Benny- Amsoil is available at Bap Geon (get the 5w40 Euro) and Royal Purple is at Napa. Both around $6-7 per quart and is good stuff. On my street car I use the BMW OEM stuff. Oil change at 8k miles, filter change every 4k.

You rebel. One of the few people I know that dosn’t change their oil everytime you change your filter.

Some good info in here however.

Lyndon what do you run in the Rex?

I like Castrol alot better, thats what ive been changing my car with

BMW Service calls for oil/filter change at around 15k miles, so I figure I’m ahead of the game. The oils expensive and every time I get it tested (for a street car), they say it has plenty of life left in it and to leave it in. Filter is just cheap insurance @ $7 and it’s a top-loaded canister design so swapping it is easier than changing the air filter.

…so jealous

Your not the only one…