Oil Analysis (not KY)

can you buy amsoil locally? if so, where?

Haha… I’m cheap- either Quaker State or WalMart brand, 10-40W, depending on how much cash I have at the time when I do the WalMart trip for oil, filters, etc. for the crx, my legacy gt, and my girlfriends legacy L. Buying 6 - 5-qt containers and filters every other oil change sucks…

However- I do change the oil religiously- the crx sees about 2-3K between oil changes (especially with the PCV system disabled), if not less- the Legacy is about the same, the L, well - when she notices that the oil change sticker is due.

You get what you pay for (generally) - my brother runs Mobil1 in his Impreza- and I can attest to this - his valvetrain was friggin spotless after +40K miles. Generally I’ve heard negatives on running synthetics in motors ‘not designed for it’.

It’s that little silver canister right at the top front of the motor. Piece of cake, eh? ;D
http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o6/maxxfish/IMGP1315.jpg

Amsoil is available at Bap Geon on Fuller. They have some common weights in stock but will gladly order anything. By gladly I mean that grumbly old man way that autoparts guys do anything at all that a customer asks.

seriously even changing the oil in my car is a pain in the ass

My car is actually pretty easy, the oil filter is within arms reach under the hood, and the oil drain plug is within arms reach underneath ;D :banana

Ive been running amsoil in my cars for 7 years i love that stuff

iv’e bee running cheap shit for the past 4 months since i got my engine all back together in the spring i’ll be doing my 3rd oil change in 5,000 (eninge has about 5k on it right now ) and changing it to amsoil

note my uncle and grandpa sell it …who wants a case lol

Royal Purple is also available at AAP. Not too many people buy it though. I’ve sold prolly 6qt since we started carrying it.

you can get ams oil at anca’s on erie in schenectady as well.

do I get a discount if I buy it from him? what business’s do they own?

I run amsoil in my bike. Honda really needs to get on the ball about designing an easier way to change the oil in that thing

Jesse, in your dd you don’t have any problems with the BMW/castrol 5W-30

I tried it ONCE in my motor and will NEVER go back to it, i don’t understand…my consumption went way up, i had to add almost a full quart in 1/4 quart (lol) increments over the course of 3k miles, AND my lifter/vanos noise increased considerably, which made me nervous to say the least…so i tried this Mobil 1 5w40 diesel truck oil, works great, hasnt consumed a drop in 2k miles and you can’t hear my marbles at 3k unless youre under the hood.

I know, i know, replace the vanos.

You didn’t happen to test the Rotella too, did you?

Just remembered they switched brands, some blue bottle for oem oil now right?

i forget the brand name but that shits french or something right?

fuck that shit :rofl

Benny-3 years ago when the white car did street duty only, I used the BMW 5w30 (it’s not the same as Castrol Syntec 5w30, just distributed by them) with no problems. Just put it in the black car after I bought it and drove it for 5 whole days before it became Bambislayer. Just got it back so I’ll watch for the quirks you mentioned. Both S50 motors.

That Dr. Vanos fix is the shit, btw. I’ve spoken to Chris on the phone, he knows his crap. The black car has a brand new OEM vanos unit a la Turner as of 5k miles ago. Hehehe suckers.

Never tested the Rotella. The more I learn about oils designed for domestic trucks (the 5w40 right?) the less they appear to work in German motors with stupid tight tolerances. I have a few proven choices now that I’m going to use now that came back from testing fine. I’ll test new ones in the black car but no more in the white one. New race motor gets only the finest Motul. ;D Bling bling.

all i’ve been running in my cars is mobil 1 15w-50. it has never given me a problem, so i guess i’ll stick with it.

I’m going with the amsoil 5w-40 then, thanks jesse

Well im not sure what kinda deals i can get but i can get there whole line up evan 55 gallon drums i have a dealer price sheet some where i’ll have to check it out

and they dont have a store they set up accounts at independent retailers like bap geon (sp) but they do have alot of case’s of almost any weight you need instock…just let me kno …

Silent- Do they have 5w40 Euro in stock and are they local?

Jesse im not sure i’ll have to check but i’ll let you know

I’ve switched between Mobil 1, Castrol Syntec, Redline and Royal Purple. All have seen 10w40, including the new Mobil1 high mileage syn. Honestly, Royal purple’s worked best for me. Quietest operation of all the oils I’ve tested, lowest consumption rate per 3k miles and I’ve seen damn decent fuel mileage out of the saturn while running 10w40. 38mpg two way average on a 400 mile trip? Yup.

Oil’s always been purple on the way out of the motor, which means it’s not being heavily contaminated with soot or other particulates. I figure if I can still see the color after 5k miles, and I’m only down 1/2 quart, I’m doing alright.

amsoil is def good oil, and i didnt even hear of it until my buddy got a job as a mechanic

No link to the infamous oil thread on SupraForums? Newbs!