oil for s14 sr20

just wondering what would be the best oil to use in the s14sr20 motor and trans, synthetic or non synthetic, witch brand and witch grade

thanks.

there are lots of threads and discussion about this already.

personally I just use castrol synthenic 10W-30. It comes in a nice 4.4 litter bottle and goes on sale quite often. Tranny I had castrol in it before but I did spend the money after I changed my clutch to use redline and i did notice an improvement.

royal purple all the way

x2

Never used anything else in my s14 SR

ATF fluid for the tranny. Ran it for years in my SR/KA and shifter kart and never had any issues.

its like 15 bucks for a big jug

Ive always been told to use 5w30 in my engine but i really dont know… so i ve been using that mobil 1 synthetic with a Nissan filter…but im considering changing oil weight and brand …

Royal purple …

Royal purple isn’t even a certified oil.I wouldn’t put it in my car lol.just my opinion…

castrol gtx 10w40 son!

Check the sr fsm online to get a better idea, but there are many different grades for different seasons and temps…

I’m using Royal Purple 10w-40 should be good for most of the seasons cept winter but cars stored so ya lol.

ahaha i use gtx ahaha its always on sale

u cant use anything else but royal purple once u start, at least thats what i heard ?

How serious are you about oil? If you’re not serious, run a Dino oil from a reputable manufacturer like Shell, Castrol, Pennzoil, Mobil 1, Quaker State, et el, in the 5w30 weight, and do your regular oil interval changes with a quality filter like the Nissan or NAPA Gold filter. If you actually care a bit, then run a synthetic in the 5w30 weight. If you give a shit, then you should probably run a 0w30 synthetic-I’m currently running German Castrol and it’s great. If you really want to get serious about oil, then you will go to http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/cms/ , you will look into oil analysis’, and you will select your weight based on driving conditions and oil pressure.

German Castrol is probably the best bang for your buck synthetic oil, for a daily/ weekend warrior car. The reports and oil analysis’ don’t lie, feel free to check them out on that forum.

I honestly wouldn’t run 5w30 in the summer, fsm doesn’t recommend it.

The oil will thin out especially on a turbo motor where the oil is also soaking up heat from the turbo, of course unless your driving it in the winter but 10w40/10w30 is probably best all round for a generally stock motor in our climate.

The oil the FSM recommends hasn’t been availae for purchase in over 10 years. The recommended oil is two generations out of date, as far as oil standards go. I want you to tell me what the first number in the oil rating means, and then tell me what the second number means. I the.n want you to tell me the difference between 0w30, 5w30, and 10w30 at full operating temperature. After you have answered that, I want you to go re-read your post and tell me how you reached the connclusion: that a 5w30 oil will be too thin at operating temperature in our climate, but a 10w30 won’t be too thin.

i use motul 8100 xcess 5w40, good shit

I just picked up 3 5L jugs of Motul 8100 xclean 5w40, yeah, it’s good shit and VW 505.01 rated for my TDI =D

shell rotella 15w40 all summer long. cheap too

thanks guys for the suggestions i think i might go with Liqui Moly 5w40 and redline mt90

I run Amsoil 0w30 with my OEM filter (Surbaru) and its treated me pretty well.

Motul only