What oils for a 1991 Nisasn 240sx?

Hey guys,

I searched… heh… I did… but I didn’t find the threads of what I was looking for. Too many came up that were unrelated…

I was going to make a thread first about what oils people use in their engines?

I know the car takes 89 premium, but what about oils? I wana go synthetic so i’m thinking mobil 1. But ? what is it? how much w? etc… what type, etc…

Then there’s tranny oil, then what about other fluids like brakes. Just thought I’d create a general thread on all the fluids and whatnot… but my main question was on engine oil.

Well for engine oil I would use mobil 1 synthetic 10w30, I think theres about 4L in a jug, so just pour all of that in. Canadian tire sells it for ~$38, and wallmart has it for $4 dollars less.

For tranny/diff fluid Redline or Lucas, rating is 75w90 for diff oil and you need 1.5L GL5 or similar, not sure about tranny rating and quantity.

the tranny and diff can use the same fluid… 3 litres in the tranny and 2 in the diff.

as for motor oil… we like Castrol Syntec 0w30 (the German stuff).

15W50 is what I run (shouldnt in the winter thou) but I dont drive the car in the winter…

Oil weight can be a “personal preference” but if your car likes to burn oil, then def go with a thicker oil

No offence but if it’s a stock ka in there that you don’t beat on, your best bet is to save money and run regular 5/10w30 and cheap gas.

Most people who are saying run synthetic I believe have SRs or modified KAs.

Obviously your best bet will be to run synthetic and premium but you could be saving your money to make your car “non-stock” in the future.

Just an opinion.

P.S. brake/clutch hydraulic fluid: Valvoline Synthetic DOT 4

Yea I have a 1991 stock KA24DE with 200k on it… I like running synthetic so I wondered… it’s my first 240sx and I wana keep it heh… will baby it in the long run. I don’t want dead dinosaur juice.

5w30 Mobil 1 Synthetic is all my SR sees at the moment.

10w30 synthetic… previous owner put synthetic for the past 6 years that he owned it, stock KA, i’m afraid to put dino oil now

the FSM recomends 15w30 i believe

i’m running 5w30 right now, switched from 10w40 for the winter and it made me realize how much oil weight matters. my car was so sluggish with the 10w40. im doing an oilchange tomorrow and i think im going to go with Castrol high mileage 15w30 and a nissan oil filter.

I’ve done a lot of research in the past about synthetic oils, and Mobil 1 is pretty much the bottom of the barrel… it breaks down faster than other brands.

I used it in my Prelude, and burned a rediculous amount between oil changes… I switched to Castrol Syntec 0w30 (Made in Germany), and the oil consumption decreased.

German Castrol Syntec 0w30 is the only ‘real’ synthetic oil Castrol makes… if it doesn’t say “Made in Germany” on the back of the bottle, it’s not true synthetic.

E

Wrong. Look under the hood and you will see it recommends 5w30.

Before (on the KA) i always ran 5w30 in winter/cold and 10w30 in summer.

As for best oil, from what I’ve read in the past, it’s AMSOIL and then
MOBIL and then everything else.

Can you back this up with something verified?

I work for Mr. Lube, doing oil changes day in day out. We deal with castrol mainly. All syntec is 100% full synthetic.

[quote=“NeveR”]

Can you back this up with something verified?[/quote]
http://www.hondaprelude.to/forums/showthread.php?t=17099&highlight=german+castrol

lots of info here… http://theoildrop.server101.com/cgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=forum;f=51;hardset=0;start_point=0;DaysPrune=0

that’s why I don’t go to Mr. Lube… :roll:

Can you back this up with something verified?[/quote]
http://www.hondaprelude.to/forums/showthread.php?t=17099&highlight=german+castrol

lots of info here… http://theoildrop.server101.com/cgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=forum;f=51;hardset=0;start_point=0;DaysPrune=0

that’s why I don’t go to Mr. Lube… :roll:[/quote]

Seriously, I found nothing in there that backs up your claim of only one grade of syntec oil being fully synthetic. I see alot of shady information.

EDIT: Nvm. upon searching, it seems that 9 out of 10 full synthetic motor oils are actually not full synthetic at all. This includes mobil, castrol, etc.

which one is 10/10 ? royal purple?

CRISCO

I heard of royal purple as being hardcore synthteic oil… and on the bling side of things.

In the car my father owns he puts redline sytnhetic oil. He was going to get royal purple :lol:

He used to run mobil 1 synthteic then switched to redline synthetic…

Hmm I only heard of royal purple from people online saying that it’s really good and a few shops trying to market and sell it heh… but apparently it’s expensive top notch stuff… I wouldn’t know experience-wise though…

Hey guys i searched and searched and was wondering what u guys would reccomand for sr20det redtop tranny oil and how many litres does it take? and what kind of engine oil? I see that u guys posted to use Mobil 1 and Castrol Syntec but there is no real agreement, manly im after what kind of tranny fluid to use, currently i had 80 90 gear oil in there. thanx

Since the thread’s been revived I thought I’d ask.

What about redline and royal purple? If I can maybe get it as cheap or cheaper than mobil 1 synthetic from somewhere… what do you guys think? Since these two are suppose to be better than mobil 1