Transmission oils (manual)

some ppl say redline Mt90 is good
some say GM sychromesh
some mix lucas additive in normal gear oil

which one should i get for a Ka transmission.

does any one know any places where i can find any of this stuff cheap…

thanks

I’m running valvoline synth.

I’ve run CT synth as well and there was no discernable difference between the two.

I’ve been running MT90 and it’s been good.

$18 a litre I believe at Pacific Mall…one of the car shops there.

I just used Royal Purple Max Gear oil and its quiet and shifts like butter. I’d recommend it.

Where would I find this? Looking to change tranny oil this weekend, so it’s all prep’d up for track time. Also, since its synthetic, and I don’t know when the last time the previous owner changed his tranny oil, wouldn’t it cause harm to the internal parts?

Someone let me know, before I make a mistake.

Can I find these fluids at PartSource, CT? Or only performance shops carry them?

The only thing that will maybe damage your tranny is GL5 oils (meant for differentials) you want GL4

They do not work well with soft metals (like brass) and can chew your synchros to pieces.

It really depends on what you want the oil to do.

Some of the racier stuff has the viscosity of heavier oil, but none of the cushion. That’s where they are able to make the extra power they claim, they are in effect “slipperier” to reduce parasitic loss. They run a bit hotter and can crunch bit on fast gear changes.

Most of the trannies I own are at least 20 years old though, so they tend to need a bit more chemical love. Then again, they haven’t broken either :wink:

I love the Q and put it in everything. Quaker State Full Synthetic that is. Just look for the bright green bottle. It’s quiet, and you don’t feel as much of the metal-on-metal feel I find with the redline/royal purple style.

^ thanks for the recommendations & advice mr200

Performance improvements (queensway) carries Royal Purple. I am seriously considering trying it out after putting it in my bros KA. Thing shifts much better than my redline mix. Could be the tranny though.

part source on brimely and sheppard carry’s royal purple now, i got them to order a whole freakin box of that stuff last time. and ended up not buying it. its like 12 bucks a quart.