Oil... how does it work? [split]

This thread is as about as cool as watching paint dry.

Vlad, how does it feel to be regarded as the biggest dope on your own forum?

So all of a sudden no more logical argument and you’re attacking me?

Perfect, two down, thank you. Thank you for playing.

Moving on, now that we all see that the grades are directly comparable, ignoring Travis’s theories and claims based on nothing VS plenty of evidence above clearly displaying that they are.

Therefore an oil that is thick should have a high number, and as it gets thinner it goes lower or more viscous.

10w30 should be 50w30 using their own rule “Low # thin, high # thick”

50 when it’s cold and thick, then a 30 once it warms up and thins.

You should ban travis for such back talk on your forum

Ignorance doesn’t bother me.

Everybody else I’ve talked about this about saw my point within a few minutes and found it funny how system doesn’t make sense.

I’ve been battling with you guys over this for days.

You attempting to insult my intelligence made my day. :rofl

In russia, intelligence makes days

Where is that thread of awesomeness? I ended up here and now my penis is soft.

This thread seriouuuuusly sucks. I get what vlad is saying, but it’s retarded. :facepalm

Obviously, who the fuck else did you talk to about this. Did you give a lecture at special ed? I’m literally dumbfounded this is still continuing. We’ve proved you wrong 10BILLION times and you dont get it.

REP! im dying.

Hey dumbass, I think I just proved a good 4 of you wrong who were stating that the SAE numbers of viscosity aren’t comparable if the two fluids speeds are measured at different temps.

That’s exactly how they are comparable. You take a fluid, measure it’s speed and record a temperature to know how that fluid reacts at that temperature.

If a fluid acts like a 20 at 32deg (20w) and another fluid acts like a 20 at 210 deg, they have the same viscosity (check the chart). 20w = 20 in cSt’s. Or look at the other chart when the comparison between viscosity of w’s is directly below the non W’s in the same scale.

Now that a few members making uprules that don’t exist out of the way this is going to be much easier. (Travis, Cossey, Shady, Benny)

The speed of a fluid rated as a 5 at 32 degrees is directly comparable to the speed of a fluid rated as a 20 at 210 degrees.

Can you post a non mobile link, my eyes hurt

YO SINGH WHERE YOU AT. You are the local oil authority in here, as appointed by PJB. Now save me some money and solve this argument too.

Here is another for simple explanation

As rating goes up, SAE or cSt, fluid gets thicker.

Multi grade oil that has a 10w will act like an SAE 10 at 32* def F, which is thinner than a 20w, which is also thinner than a 20.

I literally cannot sigh any louder.

:rofl

If you hopped in Doc Brown’s DeLorean and went back to 1965, your dilemma would make sense. People would look at this multigrade discussion and say “impossible!”…because it was.

NOW, due to the beauty of human ingenuity…it is possible. Think back to my Buick. 10W and 10% kerosene. Kerosene. So once that thing warms up, and maybe even the owner dons a blanket over the radiator or maybe it’s a Duesenberg not a Buick so it has fancy thermo-shutters on the front to cover the radiator, thermostat helps out and it still reaches 160-180F despite being at say Nome Alaska in the winter, how well is that watery oil going to do? Terrible.

One of the many reasons 100,000 miles or so and an engine was spent back in the day, hell people considered the whole car to just be junk for the hell of it. To run that 1930-something right without wearing its bearings out, you should TECHNICALLY…yup…change the oil and dump in a thicker weight once it has warmed up, way up there in Nome. Silly. Now, multigrade essentially does just that. Now being 1980 or 90-whatever when it first came out lol.

Let’s try this one last time, you have all of the facts but somehow can’t make this connection. When cold a 5w20 engine oil acts like a 5 weight oil would act at 0C, when hot it acts like a 20 weight oil would at 100C, does this make sense to you? It doesn’t get any simpler than that.

You’re comparing a 5w20 against hot and cold saying its thinner when it’s hot and no one is argueing you on that. Oil thins out as it heats up, a 20 weight oil is going to be heavier at 0c than it is at 100c but guess what. It would STILL test out to be a 20 weight oil. And the same thing for a 5 weight oil, thicker at 0c and thinner at 100c. You can’t compare a 5 weight oil at 0c to a 20 weight oil at 100c. You’re comparing apples to oranges. If you want to compare apples to apples get a 5 weight oil at 100c and get a 20 weight oil at 100c, see which one is thinner.

All of it makes sense but the reason you switched from *f to *c confused me.

Good call, fixed that. I’m so used to using metric with work that I didn’t even notice it hahah.