Oil cooler

I was wondering, if you have an oil cooler, how do you determine how much oil to put in. When you turn on the engine after the oil change, do you wait until the cooler fills up then check ti again? What if you have a thermostat, it won’t open until the engine is really hot, doesn’t that mean your oil level will drop considerably?? Thx for any info.

Jonathan

adding oil cooler = add more fluid volume to your system = add more oil every oil change

so just keep pouring until you see dipstick at normal level

and a thermostat is in the cooling system, not the oil system, so it has nothing to do with opening or closing.

but if your talking about an oil cooler thermomstat, than you should run your engine until everything is filled with oil, and than check the oil level

Of course I’m talking about an oil cooler thermostat! lol I’m not stupid. :smiley:

Makes sense for the first part, but when the thermostat closes, would’nt the oil level in the engine go to high?

no because it was relief itself along the same oil route back into the oil pan or will just stay filled on which ever end. it will be the same

I was wondering, if you have an oil cooler, how do you determine how much oil to put in. When you turn on the engine after the oil change, do you wait until the cooler fills up then check ti again? What if you have a thermostat, it won’t open until the engine is really hot, doesn’t that mean your oil level will drop considerably?? Thx for any info.

Jonathan

adding oil cooler = add more fluid volume to your system = add more oil every oil change

so just keep pouring until you see dipstick at normal level

and a thermostat is in the cooling system, not the oil system, so it has nothing to do with opening or closing.

but if your talking about an oil cooler thermomstat, than you should run your engine until everything is filled with oil, and than check the oil level

Of course I’m talking about an oil cooler thermostat! lol I’m not stupid. :smiley:

Makes sense for the first part, but when the thermostat closes, would’nt the oil level in the engine go to high?

no because it was relief itself along the same oil route back into the oil pan or will just stay filled on which ever end. it will be the same