Oil... how does it work? [split]

Let’s keep an eye on the BITOG thread, and see how many agree with TT vs. Vlad

So far-

TT-2

Vlad-0

I’ll update as needed.

From FowVay@BIOTG

“Ask the other forum member if he actually knows the viscosity of a 5W-30 oil at 212ºF (100ºC). The viscosity will be between 9.3 cSt’s and 12.5 cSt’s. Also ask him if he knows the viscosity of the same oil at freezing (32ºF). The number will be upwards of 300 cSt’s. Ask him how 300 cSt’s is thinner than 10 cSt’s”

I’m reading it, don’t worry :ninja

and maybe, someday, probably not today, you’ll understand what the ratings on multigrade oil really mean and how to interpret them!:haha

For the 1000th time, an SAE 5 is much thicker (roughly 300 cSt) at freezing temps then an SAE 30 is at 210 degrees (roughly 10 cSt).

Multigrade=multiratings under different test conditions.

http://www.zddplus.com/TechBrief13%20-%20Oil%20Viscosity.pdf

Page 7

Dude awesome avatar. I’m +repping you for it because I just watched the SHIT out of that movie for it’s Detroit soundtrack.

5w20 definitely poured like glue when I topped of the GFs Ranger in 0* weather in Plattsburg a few weeks ago. 5w30 almost ran like water when I drained it from my Grand Am after 20 minutes of driving and a coolant temp of 190f. Oil was hot! probably 210 or better.

Maybe I don’t understand the argument…

Since it poured like glue in Platts, he thinks it should have a higher number than 5W. He cannot comprehend that 5W20 is a multigrade oil that acts like an SAE 5 in cold temps, and an SAE 20 in hot temps.

He thinks that no matter what, an SAE 5 should always be thinner than an SAE 20, when the truth is, is that an SAE 5 in cold temps is thicker than an SAE 20 in hot temps.

(cold=around freezing or below, hot=around boiling)

^ yes, and it it’s thicker at cold temps SAE shouldnt assign it a “thin” number - 5, it’s cold rating should reflect the fact that it’s thicker and carry a number such as 80, and then have it “thin” up to operating temp thickness of 30.

It should be 80w30.

Thickens to 80 when cold, thins to 30 when running.

20W50 = Cold SAE20 properties WHEN FUCKING COLD and NORMAL SAE50 properties WHEN FUCKING HOT. The long of the short – SAE 20 @ 32* is still more viscous than SAE50 @ 212*. The whole point is this: SAE50 would be like glue at cold temps and would barely flow, therefore a multigrade oil is used. When you compare, you have to compare LIKE numbers.

I’ll repeat it again.

20W50@32* operates like SAE20@32* and 20W50@212* operates like SAE50@212*

I wish I could see the look on your face when / if you ever realize how DUMB you are.

And this is where you are wrong.

SAE 20 @ 32* is still more viscous than SAE50 @ 212

HOLY SHIT IS THIS THREAD STILL IN EXPLANATION MODE?!

I have no more words.

How about this comparison then.

You have a 5W20 oil at 32F. You pour it into the mouth of a man that owes you a few SR20s. It takes 50 seconds to empty it onto his face. Now you throw on a fire suit, and crank the heat up to 212F. You pour that same bottle on his stupid face melting that shit off. This time, all other variables assumed constant besides the temp of the oil, your bottle empties in 25 seconds.

Then you have a 20W50 oil, you want to pour that shit into some protected wetlands, and it just happens to be 32F again. Same constants as the aforementioned FnF scene, except type of oil and who/what you’re ruining by dumping the shit, you empty the bottle in 60 seconds. You set those wetlands on fire, it’s 212F, same constants except temp of oil again, and you empty the bottle in 35 seconds.

Is this not clear enough?

It’s quite clear that a 50 @ 212 will empty faster than 20 @ 32, however according to SAE

The HIGHER the grade - IE 50, the SLOWER THE FLOW RATE IS.

And then jdaniels disagrees with you.

The biggest problem is Vlad can never admit he is wrong and will continue to argue the fact forever, so you guys are basically wasting your time arguing.

how is he disagreeing with me???

more viscous=thicker
less viscous=thinner

a 20w oil at 32F is thicker (more viscous) than a 50w oil at 212, that’s just a fact lol,

an SAE20 oil would be thinner at 32 than an SAE50 at 32.

they literally just put two numbers to show how the oil acts under two different, common conditions, stop comparing them to each other FFS

So this whole arguement is really that Vlad doesn’t like the current rating system cause it doesn’t make sense to him? Sorry dude it’s pretty simple, multigrade means it’s RELATIVE viscosity changes with temp. Your issue seams to center around that we all agree oil flows better hot then cold, but why is it so hard to understand the first number is how it performs at 32 degrees and the second 210? If you really want to compare apples to apples get 3 quarts of oil 5w30, 5 and 30. compare the 5w30 to the 5 when cold should be the same then compare the 5w30 at 210 to the 30 at 210 should be the same. Thats all the rating scale means when you get right down to it. So why make a mountain out of a mole hill comrade? :vlad

Vlad, reread the picture you keep posting. It clearly says that W designation oils are tested at 0 celcius whereas the normal viscosity rating is done testing the oil at 100C, just like everyone has been trying to tell you. You’re trying to argue two different rating systems.

If you want to compare 5w40 to standard 40 weight oil you would have to heat them both up to 100C and compare. Comparing them at room temp doesn’t give you anything because they aren’t rated at 40 viscosity at room temp, they are rating 40 at 100C. Same as comparing 5w to 5, you’d have to compare them at 0C to have a valid comparison.

Yes you get it. The sae weight number (ie. 30) doesn’t change in a straight weight oil. It has different viscocity at different temps… but the number does not change. A multigrade 5W30 has the properties of a 5 weight at 0c (read: high viscocity but NOT AS HIGH AS A 30 WEIGHT AT 0) AND THE PROPERTIES OF A 30 WEIGHT AT 100C (READ HIGHER VISCOCITY THAN A 5 WEIGHT AT 100). IT IS SO SIMPLE TO GET… THE NUMBER DOESN’T DESIGNATE A SET VISCOCITY. They are rated for their weight at 100* c. The number does not change in a straight weight based on temp… the viscocity does… that is what vlad does not get.