Oil... how does it work? [split]

oh cSt

Check this out:
The viscosity of a fluid is highly temperature dependent and for either dynamic or kinematic viscosity to be meaningful, the reference temperature must be quoted. In ISO 8217 the reference temperature for a residual fluid is 100oC. For a distillate fluid the reference temperature is 40oC.

• For a liquid - the kinematic viscosity will decrease with higher temperature

All those cSt figures were taken at the same temperature in the chart above if I understand it correctly so temperature shouldnt be a factor.

It’s taking different grades, bring them up to the same temperature and rating them on their fluidity.

+rep for TT and wayne this thread is starting to make my head hurt. How many ways can the same thing be explained over and over again???

I guess we are gonna see.

http://i40.tinypic.com/25iut7b.jpg

Vlad basicly whats going on here in my eyes is that you dont agree with how Oil is rated, it has nothing to do with whos right or who is wrong, because from what ive read, TT is right.

You need to complain to the Motor Oil Police and not tell travis he’s an idiot for understanding an oil rating system that you seem to think is flawed.

Like Johawk said, I understand where you are comming from but its not right, it was explained in the first two pages. Maybe you need to work on a new motor oil measurement

I wonder who gets to take home the Championship Belt?!!! Subscribed!

rep for the belt.

I pissed in a sock once.

I also looked at your horse, your horse is amazing.

Did you give him a lick? He tastes just like raisins!

Did you really put that a 20w oil is thicker than a 60w oil? Oh man does it keep getting better and better

I thought he tasted more like Horse Pop, honestly.

There is no W next to 60, it was measured at 210*.

Let me try again… did you really just put that 20 weight oil is thicker than 60 weight oil?

Is this real life?

Im gonna take a stab at what Vlad is saying.

20 weight oil may be more viscous at 0f than 50 weight oil is at 210f

When they rate the multigrade oil they are comparing the 20 of 20w50 to standard 20 weight oil at 0f. They compare the 50 to standard 50 weight oil at 210f. So this oil that is as viscous as 50 weight at 210f but can also be as viscous as 20 weight is at 0f. What Vlad is saying is that although the 20w50 oil is as viscous as 20 weight at 0f that the oil actually is more viscous at 0f than the 50 weight would be at room temp. Which is true. He suggest that the oil be measure by its true viscosity and not by comparing it to an oil at similar viscosity at that temperature. Scientifically he may be 100% correct. It is more difficult for the general public to understand multigrade oils with Vlads proposed system. For marketing reasons motor oil will always be measure this way.

Vlad should move back to the mother land

Vlad, since an SAE 5 oil is thicker at 32F vs 210F, what should it be called in your opinion? SAE 504948474645 (and so on)?

Bottom line- who gives a fuck?

hey we agree on something