Oil... how does it work? [split]

HOLY FUCK YOU ARE DUMB.

Travis explained this on the first page, go back and read it.

THANK YOU.

Vlad, I like you… but did you eat paintchips as a kid (or currently)?

I understand that.

But it allows to spin more easily then what 0w or 10w when it’s 5w?

How do you not see the inconsistency.

omg lol an SAE0W would ‘spin more easily’ than an SAE5W under the same exact conditions. naturally.

:rofl :rofl :rofl this is awesome.

Interesting you say they are not the same scale.

Maybe you can explain to me why 20 has the same cSt viscosity as 20w then.

If you guys can’t grasp that cold, thick oil should have high SAE numbers assigned but instead has low numbers, I can’t help you.

It’s all relative. It allows it to spin more easily than a standard, non multi-grade oil of a given viscosity rating AT THOSE EXACT TEMPS.

Again:

5 @ cold = 5W30 @ cold

I just don’t get where you see an inconsistency. The first number is what the VI additive allows it to flow like when cold. It only affects the cold temp rating. All it’s saying is WHEN I’M COLD, I SPIN EASIER THAN I WOULD WITHOUT AN ADDITIVE. This DOES NOT mean that the oil is THINNER @ 32* – just that it’s thinner than it would be without the additive @ 32*.

But overall the spinning will be harder then when it’s warm.

I understand what 5w30 means I explained it in one of the first posts, I have a problem with the fact that cold has an assignment of 5 instead of lets say 50 making it 50w30.

If an oil spun easier while cold it would make it 45w30. If it spun harder when cold, 55w30.

It would be consistent between both numbers. If SAE says the higher the number the thicker, why is the thick cold oil rated lower then when it’s warm?

The SAE ratings are done at a fixed temperature. The oil being cold is irrelevant to the rating itself. It’s just a number, I don’t know what else to tell you.

The ratings are done at two fixed temperatures when it’s a multigrade.

If it only has 1 number, it means it was only tested at 210 and never tested at 32.

The number itself is derived from the high temperature test, that’s what you’re missing. The numbers are all relative to the high temperature rating of a standard fixed weight oil.

I understand that. Where is the miscommunication?

Again, I’ll bring the honey and see if I follow your logic.

Honey at 210 degrees is thin so let’s give it a 50.

Honey at room temp behaves like molasses so if there was a rating for a room temp it would be act like a 70.

You get it cold and it becomes even thicker.

You guys are throwing numbers all over, what is the actual measurement unit for these viscosity numbers?

Ask Vlad, he’s grasping this REALLY well. :rofl :rofl

Multiple, SAE and cSt are the common ones used and talked about here.

The picture above I posted will show both.

I know what you’re saying. If we are talking actual viscosity measurements of the oil as you are – it’s obviously far different. They are just numbers assigned to an oil that tests like that at a given temp.

That’s exactly the issue. SAE ratings are just a number assigned to an oil that measures X viscosity @ 212* - it’s a fixed number that does not change. It’s a label.

Let’s see if re-arranging the chart above using cSt and SAE will help any.

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q26/vovchandr/viscosity-2.jpg

mother of god

:rofl