OK, What's wrong with my taillights???

here is my problem… dont u guys love problems :lol:

CAR - 1989 240sx coupe

PROBLEM - taillights/brakelights are screwed up :oops:

*bulbs are all fine and new
*when i press the brakes (with the lights off all brakelights light up, however the drivers side one is a little dim
*when i press the brakes (with the lights on the left (driver’s side) light assembly goes out completely while the right (passenger) one is fine…
*reverse lights and turn signals are fine

im guessing it is a wiiring problem, but cannot see anything from just removing the bulb assembly…and im not too good with wiiring

im also guessing that this may be a problem coupes have since i have seen a few around with the same problem…

any input/ideas is much appreciated…

thanks all
Cal

ive heard its a common issue on coupes

wiring issue, just go over all the wires, and rewire it if they look pooched… and yes, coupes do have this problem.

The tailights on my coupe do the exact same thing. Let me know if you figure out how to fix it.

Take out all the Bulbs and clean the Corronsion in the Sockets…

The problem with coupes is moisture in the trunks and the sockets corrode.

your looking at a short some where in the rear harness. easy diag.
look for corrosion, clean it up.

-deez

I;m with the Jantos on this one, before starting to rewire your car, clean the corrosion out of the sockets.
I had this problem last year.

cool, thanks guys

ill try cleaning the corrosion from the sockets, even though from what i remember they looked clean…

as soon as my car is back from the shop i will get to work and let you guys know.

thakns for the help,
Cal

All it has to be dude is one little dot of corrosion on the + leads in the middle causing the issue.

Find the grounds and the conectors, not the sockets.
Look there first, the sockets will only effect the one section

-deez