Old Bomber flying over WNY today

So what was it? I got a quick look at it when it flew over the dealership but could not tell exactly B17 or B24 from WWII?

Come on JayS… you know these things.

pics the next go-round.

LOL! Just posted. It’s a B29. It was here yesterday also, but wasn’t using the runway that approaches over my shop. Today, it’s coming in just a couple of hundred feet over our heads. Awesome stuff.

It’s a B-29

http://www.buffalonews.com/city/veterans/article900279.ece

^Yeah, this. Beat me to it. :slight_smile:

EDIT:

News story that actually shows the plane…

http://www.buffalonews.com/city/communities/cheektowaga/article897402.ece

Yep it’s a B-29. I’m actually going to Prior today with my Dad to see it. He was a gunner in one of these during WWII. The plane, Fifi, is the last flying B-29 around.

See, I don’t need Google anymore… now I just NYSPEED.

Would buzzing Niagara Falls to see if it freaked out any of the old Asians be inappropriate?

Something just flew over the city with a distinct sound, didn’t get to see it though.

Damn, I would have killed to have seen that overhead. It’s also infamous as the type of bomber that dropped both atomic bombs in WWII, Bock’s Car and Enola Gay. Both or them are still around, one in Dayton OH at the Wright-Patterson USAF museum and the other in DC at the Smithsonian annex (I’ve been to both).

This is what you heard today, times four

At Geneseo this year they’re getting one of the last Avro Lancasters to fly with their own B-17, among others. :tup:

I saw this yesterday as well on cayuga right as it was landing, was awesome to see

Just got back from Prior. The plane was landing just as we were arriving. Pretty awesome to see. My Dad really enjoyed this. He took a bunch of old pictures with him from when he was in WWII. He had pictures of his plane and everyone he flew with (only 6 of them are still alive) as well as pictures of the Enola Gay. His plane, Smilin Jack, is in Connecticut. He goes there every couple years for a reunion with the surviving members. It was pretty neat to have so many people come up and shake his hand and thank him.

just to save some people from googling:
sorry for crappy cell pics, it’s all i had.

And a D model Mustang for good measure. So cool.

This is pretty awesome :tup:

Ww2 vets are becoming pretty scarce these days

Those honor/final flights… or whatever they’re called… watching those videos may or may not make me tear up at times.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKBNw4kfwNM&feature=related

Been flying over my jobsite along the lake past couple days. Definitely distinctive sound. Cool to see.

I work at prior, today’s the last day to see it there’s a air show in Canada where its going next… 400 bucks for a 30 minute ride and 1500 to sit in the front gunner position (30 min) pretty cool to check out last B-29 in operation in the world.

$ 1500 works for me but I’m not bringin my own bullets.

Flew over me while I was waiting in traffic by the airport…what a beautiful machine! The sound gave me goosebumps…