once-in-a-while KA24 Automatic Engine Stuttering

My S13 is an automatic with about 190Kms on the KA24, all stock.

Once in a while, the engine would “stutter” when the car is coming to a stop (i.e. I am pressing the brakes, car slowing down). This happens when I keep the car in “D” [reminder: car is auto]. I notice this when the rpm’s fall below 1000, the needle jumps about a bit around 6/700 rpm to 900rpm, and i can feel the engine stuttering. It seems like if change it to “N” the problem isn’t there.

I notice this happening when i first run the car at the beginning of each day, after driving around for 15-20 mins this problem ceases to exist.

Anyone have any clue?

I had a bit of a stuttering problem when my car was cold. It would stutter under light throttle applications around 1700rpm. My car used to be auto as well. Anyways, I had the fuel filter replaced, and that pretty much fixed the problem.

I suggest you run injector cleaner/seafoam, and then change the fuel filter afterwards. Also, run some throttle body cleaner through the IACV with the engine started. There’s many guides if you search.

Good luck.

thanks AhmadG, sounds like some solid suggestions. will definitely do the seafoam and fuel filter as you suggested, its good maintenance on the vehicle anyway!

my dad has had that same problem on his 97 626 but countless mechanics have not been able to find out what is the problem. hes changed IACV, throttle body, TPS, Intake gasket, MAF, CAP and Dizzy, you name it its been done and it still does it… exact same symptoms… when slowing down it would stutter a little but if popped into N it would stop… just wait till it starts stalling on you even when you pop it into N then it becomes a REAL PAIN IN THE asss!!

Try adding another ground to the battery and cleaning/tightening all the other grounds in the engine bay

damn - that is scary! when it stutters it feels like the engine wants to stall (i have a manual car so I know what that feels like)

Maybe its a sign of the engine about to give up? touch wood Hope not!

I’ll try that seafoam and fuel filter trick to see if it goes away.

Just curious, when the engine stalled on your dads 626, could he get it started again immediately?

tourqe converter lock up switch…stall only after you’ve gone into overdrive?

I was going to suggest the torque converter too. I’ve heard of that happening in other cars.

in a LOT of cars…and NOT the converter it self. the torque converter lock up solenoid/switch doohicky i forget right now. i’ll see if i can pull it up on alldata. then just disconect it! cheap fix

can’t find jack shit on alldata…yet again. only found these…hope they help a bit.

(+1) Torque converter lock up.

Its usually the TCC that is the problem. The torque converter lockup solenoid.

Doesn’t say much about it on all data. just how to see if the solenoid is working… no wiring diagram for it. Maybe mitchel ON demand might have one…

It says check the resistance between the two terminals it should be 10- 20 ohms. But it may be a power or ground issue, I have had wires corroded at the connector make it not work before.

yea…i just can not seem to fucking find a picture of the lock up solenoid ANYWHERE!!!

alldata sucks balls for nissans.