Ontario Safety Certificate

Where can I get a list of detailed requirements as they petain to getting a safety.

I’m kind of getting dicked around by a dealership and want to just doublecheck what the requirements (from the MTO) actually are.

I’ve done some google searches but not what I’m looking for.

http://takeit2thetrack.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=93

What does the dealership say about the car to not be able to pass it?

For the safety of my BMW I needed to get 2 rear tires. I didn’t want to buy them from the dealership at $2xx a pop so went and sourced some replacement tires myself.

Now, the tires on the front (Conti Touring) are not the same as the tires on the back (Pirelli P2) and they are saying that because they are different tires they can not safety the car.

So, I’m just trying to verify whether or not the safety requirements specifically say anything about thread pattern, matching tires etc.

Okay - I think this list is more complete…

http://www.ontariolicences.com/ssc2.htm

dude, just take it somewhere else. BMW is fucking with you obviously.

Alright - here it is fro mthe MTO…

But this is the fun part. I want to make 100% sure I’m right and I am going to raise bloody hell over there.

No they are BS ing you. But I wouldn’t staple their balls yet because they still have the car and you don’t. You might staple their balls by printing out the MTO document but they’ll poke you in the eye by say putting water in your brake fluid, salt in your engine oil, saw dust in your tranny, etc etc…

No no…I have the car. But they want me to bring it back in so the tech can see it again before he signs of the on the safety.

safetys are probably the easiest to get when i baught my 240 i the guy never even saw my car.

if you need a no hassle cert/safety when your car is fine I can direct you to a couple places I deal with, straight up guys

fairly certain the tires have to match only on the drive axle, so there for the both front ones have to be the same and both back ones have to be the same, but all 4 dont have to match. minimal tread is 3/32. thas all

No, it is gay. They do have to match. It falls under standard #33

I had a problem with my first car, it had the same tires on one side, and two different tires on the other side. I had to swap the matching pair to the back, and source out a matching tire for one of the other two, and run it on the front.

It’s even gayer that BMW won’t let it slide.

It’s meant to keep you from running 4 completely different tires. But most mechanics interpret as fronts have to match, rears have to match.

But it’s worded as having to match without being specific. I can’t remember off the top of my head (it’s been years since I’ve seen the books) but it’s something really vague like

1. Tires, size, brand, type match? Y/N

I could understand if they were fussy due to improper size on an ABS vehicle or something along those lines… but brands.

LOL thats why i say that because im an apprentice and thats the rule of thumb at my shop

walk around the dealership, try find a car with different fronts and rears in the used car lot then raise hell !

All is good.

It turns out the guy that gave me the “okay” before did not actually have the authority to do that. The tech whos name is actually on the certificate said he had to see the tires or he would not put his name on the cert. He saw they tires and signed instantly.

They washed me car for free…I stole a cookie. The balance has been restored.

and, just for future reference…

TIRES AND WHEELS

1. (1) In this section,

“construction type” means a type of tire carcass such as bias ply, belted-bias and radial ply and does not include variations in tread pattern or in cord material such as rayon, polyester and nylon used in building a tire carcass.

(2) All tires installed on axles shall be inspected for depth of tread or sipes, tread and sidewall defects, proper size application, regrooving and combination of construction types and,

(a) except for front tires on a vehicle in excess of 4,500 kilograms gross vehicle weight rating, no tire shall be worn sufficiently,

(i) for the tread wear indicators to contact the road, or

(ii) that less than 1.5 millimetres of tread depth remains,

in any two adjacent major grooves at three equally spaced intervals around the circumference of the tire, and,

(iii) despite subclause (ii), except for dual tires on an urban transit bus, no motor vehicle shall be equipped with tires that show indication of siping only, and in the case of an urban transit bus, the siping shall not be less than 1.5 millimetres in depth;

(b) in the case of front tires on a vehicle in excess of 4,500 kilograms gross vehicle weight rating, no tire shall be worn sufficiently that less than 3 millimetres of tread depth remains in any two adjacent major grooves at three equally spaced intervals around the circumference of the tire, nor shall any front tire show evidence of siping only;

© no tire shall have exposed cord;

(d) no tire shall have tread or sidewall cuts or snags deep enough to expose the cords;

(e) no tire shall have any abnormal visible bump, bulge or knot;

(f) no tire shall have been regrooved or recut below the original new tire groove depth, other than tires specially designed for such recutting and marked as being tires so designed;

(g) except in the case of a trolley bus, no front tire on a bus shall have been altered by the addition of material to produce a new tread surface;

(h) no tire shall be of a smaller size than the vehicle manufacturer’s specified minimum size or be sufficiently oversized as to contact any vehicle component which may affect the safe operation of the vehicle;

(i) except for a vehicle fitted with dual rear tires, no mixture of construction types consisting of radial ply on the front and bias ply or belted-bias tires on the rear shall be fitted;

(j) no mixture consisting of sixty or fifty series tires on the front and other series tires on the rear shall be fitted;

(k) no combination of construction types or sizes, except where stated to be equivalent by tire industry standards, shall be fitted on an axle;

(l) tires in a dual tire set shall not be in contact with each other or differ from each other in overall diameter by more than 13 millimetres or in circumference by more than 38 millimetres; and

(m) no vehicle shall be fitted with a tire that,

(i) bears the wording “not for highway use”, “farm use only”, “competition circuit use only” or any other wording or lettering indicating that the tire was not designed for highway use, or

(ii) bears the letters “SL”, “NHS” or “TG” after the tire designation.

(j) no mixture consisting of sixty or fifty series tires on the front and other series tires on the rear shall be fitted;

Hmmm … what about 55s, 45s or 40s :wink:

No running big meats in the rear and skinnys up front?