Opinion on check for Christmas gift?

My family all being from Rochester, I don’t see what they need on a daily basis. This discussion came up because living on my own, I can always use cash and checks. I personally hate gift cards because they have a little balance on them and a pain to use more than one at a store with remembering the amounts.

I figure a check is a little more effort than cash in an envelope and can be used for anything.

Thoughts?

Lame.

Visa gift card.

to me, cash is more of a pain than a check. lol

^^ it looks like you made the effort but i have a bunch laying around that have $4.32 on that you either have to buy amazon gift certificates with for dollars at a time and then use them all on a purchase or go to a store and tell them exactly how much is on your card.

Money for gifts fucking sucks. Gift cards suck more.

This. You might as well say you don’t really want to buy something for them but society is coercing you into doing it and this is easier and requires less thought.

If gift is for man: Awesome gift
For a women: Dont do it.

ehh, i’m pretty happy with anything, if someone complains about a gift they receive, shoot them in the face

edit: unless of course you get them something you know they won’t use, like a giftcard to joann fabrics, or an XXL shirt when they weigh 110 pounds

The whole gifting process sucks because you’re supposed to come up with things that you “need”, but not enough that you haven’t actually gotten them already despite the fact that they cost <$100. Same thing for other people. If I want something that badly, and cost isn’t an issue, I already own it. If only everyone I know could chip in and buy me something I really want with the pooled funds.

I asked for a urinal for christmas. It would make the perfect addition when I re-do my man-cave bathroom next month. Also, it’s the only gift you can piss on and the giver won’t be offended.

Personally I love gift cards. The problem with cash/checks for a gift is it ends up dumped into your “general fund” and you end up spending it on gas or groceries. My mother in law gives us lowes/home depot gift cards and I always end up using them for something useful and we’ll mention what we ended up getting with them when we use them.

Yes, thoughtful gifts are better but it’s tough coming up with something like that for someone you don’t see all that often.

buy them a $20 brick of pennys. Just as good as cash