OS question

ill reboot everything else worked untill the extend. brb

use the live cd. very easy.

when i reboot i get like a ERROR 22, im just gunna reinstall vista but when i do i still have a partition.

ok i did a fresh install of vista and still i cant combine the 2 partitions

Linux uses a extended partition which is a few partitions in one large one. Use a linux boot disk to remove them as I keep saying cuz windows sometimes has problems removing them. You are going to need to delete them all and make one big one

lol

hence why I said just to reformat the damn drive

make sure not to kill boot partition… can’t do it from windows disk because it can’t read the linux file system. if you want to do it fresh install and reformat the whole drive.

edit: which clearly is not an issue since you just did a fresh install anyways

i did the fresh install and the drive is still in 2 parts with only 37.4 gigs showing, and it still wont let me combine the 2

USE A LINUX LIVE CD TO REMOVE A LINUX EXTENDED PARTITION!

As I said before, linux makes a crazy partition table on the drive. Your second “partition” is actually 3 partitions in it typically (boot, root, and swap).

A live CD does not use the hard drive so you have full access to the partition table and can drag/merge/delete/create any partition you want.

Trust me. Its 100000x easier than it sounds. Download a Ubuntu cd, boot into the live version that does not install anything, go to Syste>partition editor and poof. There is your partition table. Delete the second half and expand the windows one. Problem solved.

I wouldn’t listen to boxxa

I am done here. I just have installed linux and moved my Windows partition over and over using this method. I don’t know anything tho.

I have gone from linux -> windows many times. All I have done is booted the XP cd and went through the normal re-format process.

BUT, since you already deleted the partition, you probably fucked yourself. So, you’re gonna need to do what boxxa said.

Get Knoppix

I was joking :nerd:

I know asshat :slight_smile:

o boy so anyone wanna try and do this for me? ill give them money or whatever, also ill drive where ever. i have like 825mb left of my HD :frowning:

did you try the Acronis Disk Director? you can use the trial version…

no i didint lol. i would rather have someone who has done this before to try for me. what would take you 5 min will give me the biggest headache

you could also…get your files off and reformat?

i did a format and the hd is still partioned

you formatted the whole drive and its still partitioned? what did you use to format it? did you use the linux to do this or vista?