Combine Partiton?

[LEFT]I deleted a linux partition from my computer.

I made it into an NTFS partition.

How do I combine the partition back into the C drive?[/LEFT]

Partition magic would do such things…

IDK if there is any newer software though… Probably is something better…

Why not just keep it a separate storage partition?

+1 for partition magic

also… +1 for storage partition.

Gparted is the freeware that should do it also.

Acronis disc director I think it is does this.

Thanks guys

Partition Magic or Acronis.

Both will work.

i guess no one warned against this but logically thinking increasing the partition will not cause problems but resizing or reducing will almost always cause problems with certain assumptions made’

Keep the second partition as free space and throw in a ubuntu live cd. Launch Gparted and just expand the main partition.

They say its risky but to be honest, I have resized, split, and deleted partitions at will and never run into an issue.

doesn’t mean it wont happen.

if your C partition is large enough to load the OS and whatever programs you need with enough free space for smooth operation then I don’t see why you would combine the partitions. I never have a single partitioned machine, typically the OS partition if it is windows is never larger than 30gb. Having a separate partition for all of your data is the smart way to go…

But to answer your question partition magic, or acronis, however neither is free.

Ya I am not saying its impossible but from my experience I have never lost data.

I personally have one partition. I never followed the two partition thing but hey, thats just me.

I do it just to annoy other people when they have to install things later…

Haha ya. That was the part that pissed me off the most was having a Program Files (x86) and a Program Files folder on the second drive and having to relocate all the important folders to the new drive. It’s more of a PITA if you ask me.

People claim its easier to reinstall the OS if its on a separate partition? :tif:

I got in the habit of doing this since a lot of the customers I work with are already setup this way…

The way I see it is that you have to still reinstall programs and stuff. Only benefit you save is your media and document files.

Personally, I have a 500GB external on my laptop and then a 200GB internal. I use the internal for stuff I need immediate access to and programs and the external for all my music, pictures, movies, etc.

The one reason I heard for doing two partitions is to limit Windows to only using (about 10 gigs is good) rather than the whole hard drive. This in turn making the OS “faster”

Also, a lot of companies use a second partition as a ghost image drive, for restoring the computer to factory settings and for user stupidity.

I personally have not tested the 2 partition theory, but I have a 10,000RPM drive that makes installing/loading a shitload quicker.

Not an advocate of piracy?

Honestly, put in a Ubuntu boot CD and boot into the live desktop. Go to the System>Administration >Partition Editor application. Delete the new NTFS partition you created so you have your original NTFS one and then free space. Resize your main partition to the size of the entire drive and let the program go to work.

Reboot and problem solved.

Free and simple.

I think you can also pop the Windows disc in, go through the install process and delete the partition that way.

Well on servers a lot of people do a raid 1 for the OS and then a raid 5 for the data partition.